2002 Special PCM vs. 2004 Special PCM - Page 10 - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #136 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Vilgent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 552
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0dgeIntrepidRT View Post
I said 300M SE because I was too lazy to type Special Edition. I am all about performance so I would like the harsher shifts.
I hate to be one of 'those' people, but if you're all about performance you're in the wrong car. The 2002 PCM hype is over-exaggerated. It will give you firmer shifts but I have never seen concrete evidence that it alone provides more HP or performance. And even if it did, it's extremely minimal. All of the conceivable performance upgrades (K&N, 2002 PCM, intake spacers, etc.) put together for our cars still won't tame a true performance enthusiast.

All you're getting here is firmer shifts.

Last edited by Vilgent; 05-13-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Vilgent is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #137 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boonton Township, New Jersey
Posts: 14
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilgent View Post
I hate to be one of 'those' people, but if you're all about performance you're in the wrong car. The 2002 PCM hype is over-exaggerated. It will give you firmer shifts but I have never seen concrete evidence that it alone provides more HP or performance. And even if it did, it's extremely minimal. All of the conceivable performance upgrades (K&N, 2002 PCM, intake spacers, etc.) put together for our cars still won't tame a true performance enthusiast.

All you're getting here is firmer shifts.
If the PCM swap doesn't really do much then I'll look for a 2004 with the RB1. I kinda grew fond of it in my Jeep. I'm all about performance but I'll lose my license if you put me behind the wheel of a Charger. I also miss my 2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T. I'm looking for a 300M Special Edition since the 300M Special Edition is a more performance oriented and loaded Intrepid R/T. I also always liked the taillights on the later 300M's.
D0dgeIntrepidRT is offline  
post #138 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 05:00 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
Vilgent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 552
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Not to sound contradictory, but just be aware they started cost-cutting in 03-04. The M's were the least hit, but the 2002s in particular are the most fully loaded. But if you want more low-mileage options, obviously the 03-04s are going to be more likely to fit that. In any year, however, the Specials will be a lot more loaded than your R/T (another area of this conversation I can attest to).

I would really not look for a car with RB1; they're not overly common in the LHs. Rather, I'd find a Special you like and if it doesn't have it add it - it's a four screw and 5-minute install. Many dealers could use this as a tool to jack the price up more than buying an RB1 actually is (used, that is).

Last edited by Vilgent; 05-14-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Vilgent is offline  
post #139 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boonton Township, New Jersey
Posts: 14
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilgent View Post
Not to sound contradictory, but just be aware they started cost-cutting in 03-04. The M's were the least hit, but the 2002s in particular are the most fully loaded. But if you want more low-mileage options, obviously the 03-04s are going to be more likely to fit that. In any year, however, the Specials will be a lot more loaded than your R/T (another area of this conversation I can attest to).

I would really not look for a car with RB1; they're not overly common in the LHs. Rather, I'd find a Special you like and if it doesn't have it add it - it's a four screw and 5-minute install. Many dealers could use this as a tool to jack the price up more than buying an RB1 actually is (used, that is).
I noticed the cost cutting when I couldn't find a 2002 Dodge Intrepid R/T with a power passenger seat. Will it have all the functionality if I swap in a RB1? In the Jeep it displays if and when you hit the memory buttons. I can find Jeep RB1's without a problem but wouldn't it display Jeep when the car starts if I put a Jeep one in.
D0dgeIntrepidRT is offline  
post #140 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Intrepid Pro

 
paintballdude05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Posts: 13,128
Feedback: 13 / 93%
                     
If you buy a car and want the Special PCM, PM me and I can hook you up.
paintballdude05 is offline  
post #141 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Vilgent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 552
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0dgeIntrepidRT View Post
I noticed the cost cutting when I couldn't find a 2002 Dodge Intrepid R/T with a power passenger seat. Will it have all the functionality if I swap in a RB1? In the Jeep it displays if and when you hit the memory buttons. I can find Jeep RB1's without a problem but wouldn't it display Jeep when the car starts if I put a Jeep one in.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe that functionality was ever in the LHs, nor could it be added. I had a 06 Town and Country RB1 in my 02, and it provided the same functionality as my 04 does. That being said, the EVIC in the Specials will display when you set the memory seats, and might show if you press it altogether (never paid attention). I'm almost positive, as well, that it will display a 'Chrysler' logo instead of a Jeep one. Many of the Intrepid owners who swapped in Special PCMs now see a 'Chrysler' logo when their RB1s pop-up; that seems to be another PCM-dictated feature.

And any RB1 should have the same capabilities as any other; the LH PCM dictates a vast majority of the features. The one notable exception is that the 05 + RB1's can support U-Connect (which was never a feature in the LHs, and obviously 05 RB1's didn't come in them either). Just be advised there, however, that that's a considerable investment to get that functionality.

Last edited by Vilgent; 05-14-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Vilgent is offline  
post #142 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Intrepid Pro

 
paintballdude05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Posts: 13,128
Feedback: 13 / 93%
                     
Personally I don't see why somebody would spend money on an RB1 while you can get something in the aftermarket that is much better in pretty much every respect for the same coin. With that said, I remember reading that the RB1 reads the vehicles VIN and knows if it's a Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep.
paintballdude05 is offline  
post #143 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Vilgent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 552
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
*Shrug* To each their own.

I know I thought it was really cool after installing it in the 02. But I started using my phone and never really used the RB1. I think I've used it maybe once in the 04 and it wasn't a option I was intentionally looking for, rather my 04 came with it already; I will most likely be selling mine. But each person is different.
Vilgent is offline  
post #144 of 155 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 PM
get off my lawn


 
DrDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Smyrna , Tn
Posts: 15,441
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0dgeIntrepidRT View Post
I noticed the cost cutting when I couldn't find a 2002 Dodge Intrepid R/T with a power passenger seat. Will it have all the functionality if I swap in a RB1? In the Jeep it displays if and when you hit the memory buttons. I can find Jeep RB1's without a problem but wouldn't it display Jeep when the car starts if I put a Jeep one in.
yea, the RB1 will show "Chrysler" , my RB4 showed "Dodge" the first time I turned it on,, second time,, "Chrysler"
DrDodge is offline  
post #145 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Intrepid Fan
 
yman4949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 110
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
I know its been a while but I didn't feel like making a new thread so I decided to just keep this one going! I read on here somewhere about how 2.7 cooling fans kick on at higher temps than the 3.2 and 3.5s. Well even since I swapped my 2.7 pcm for the 2002 special pcm I noticed that the fans will kick on after a while and never shut off. Is there anyway to change the special pcm's fan temp settings to the 2.7's? I just feel like im burning up the fans because when I kick the AC on I hear them kick to high speed and it sounds horrible!
yman4949 is offline  
post #146 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
YesImLDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 2,745
Feedback: 1 / 100%
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman4949 View Post
I know its been a while but I didn't feel like making a new thread so I decided to just keep this one going! I read on here somewhere about how 2.7 cooling fans kick on at higher temps than the 3.2 and 3.5s. Well even since I swapped my 2.7 pcm for the 2002 special pcm I noticed that the fans will kick on after a while and never shut off. Is there anyway to change the special pcm's fan temp settings to the 2.7's? I just feel like im burning up the fans because when I kick the AC on I hear them kick to high speed and it sounds horrible!
Well crap. I don't know specifically about that. Sorry for not really helping about that problem, but also how/where exactly did you get a 2002 special pcm in your 2.7l trep? I know that many people do the swap, but I have never specifically been told the exact How-To
YesImLDS is offline  
post #147 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Squilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greater Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,038
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesImLDS View Post
Well crap. I don't know specifically about that. Sorry for not really helping about that problem, but also how/where exactly did you get a 2002 special pcm in your 2.7l trep? I know that many people do the swap, but I have never specifically been told the exact How-To
Its not fun....its not easy.

Squilliam is offline  
post #148 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
YesImLDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 2,745
Feedback: 1 / 100%
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilliam View Post
Its not fun....its not easy.

I just shat myself a little bit, but also I have a 3.5l h.o. 300m platinum. Not a 2.7l. From what I have been able to find it's simply having the "dealer do it" and it shouldn't take more then "an hour of labor" But heck I have no idea and nor am I mechanically inclined to say opposite of.
YesImLDS is offline  
post #149 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Squilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greater Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,038
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesImLDS View Post
I just shat myself a little bit, but also I have a 3.5l h.o. 300m platinum. Not a 2.7l. From what I have been able to find it's simply having the "dealer do it" and it shouldn't take more then "an hour of labor" But heck I have no idea and nor am I mechanically inclined to say opposite of.
The motor really has nothing to do with it. It what your car has to run the PCM properly. I wanted mine to be factory correct with no splicing, so I had to replace the dash harness with one that had the SKIM pigtail. If you dont have SKIM, then its not just a matter of plugging it in. The easiest way to do it it to have all three matching items. SKIM, PCM and key. Then, if you have SKIM already, its just plug and play. After I did every thing, a year later I had to test a Special PCM for a member on here and it took me 14 minutes to swap the hardware.


Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox82 View Post
Treatin' my lady Trep right: One in the Pink (K&N) and Two in the Stink (Dual Exhaust)
Squilliam is offline  
post #150 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
YesImLDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 2,745
Feedback: 1 / 100%
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilliam View Post
The motor really has nothing to do with it. It what your car has to run the PCM properly. I wanted mine to be factory correct with no splicing, so I had to replace the dash harness with one that had the SKIM pigtail. If you dont have SKIM, then its not just a matter of plugging it in. The easiest way to do it it to have all three matching items. SKIM, PCM and key. Then, if you have SKIM already, its just plug and play. After I did every thing, a year later I had to test a Special PCM for a member on here and it took me 14 minutes to swap the hardware.
Ah I see, so what exactly should my first steps be on getting a 2002 special pcm. I know that I don't specifically need the 3.89 gears but my speedo will be off a little without them and I will probably do that mod sometime later as well.
YesImLDS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
coolant

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome