limp mode - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 174
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
limp mode

Its been years since I have posted here. Glad DI.net is still around.

I have a 96 intrepid 167,000 miles. First tranny problem. It wont shift into 3rd. Already changed the input/output sensors. Fluid might have 20,000 miles on it. What's the chance of just a bad solenoid pack. Haven't dropped the pan yet to check for any metal.
Pedplar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Adpros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Saint Louis Co
Posts: 1,757
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedplar View Post
Its been years since I have posted here. Glad DI.net is still around.

I have a 96 intrepid 167,000 miles. First tranny problem. It wont shift into 3rd. Already changed the input/output sensors. Fluid might have 20,000 miles on it. What's the chance of just a bad solenoid pack. Haven't dropped the pan yet to check for any metal.
Do you experience a 1 - 2 upshift?

Is the Check Engine light on?
Adpros is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 174
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
It will shift from 1 to 2. Then it will try for 3rd and drop back down to 2 and stay in 2nd
Pedplar is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Adpros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Saint Louis Co
Posts: 1,757
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
How long since the sensors were changed? I ask because this sounds like an internal fault. If you pull the output sensor again and take a look you might find it needs an Einstein type of haircut. If so, that would be an indicator of something ground-up.

If it is clean for the most part then you might just have a case of outright breakage inside. In either case, I offer the suggestion of an overhaul / replacement.

You ought to be seeing a Check Engine light in either case with missed shifts. Might be worth a look over with a scan tool
Adpros is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 4
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adpros View Post
How long since the sensors were changed? I ask because this sounds like an internal fault. If you pull the output sensor again and take a look you might find it needs an Einstein type of haircut. If so, that would be an indicator of something ground-up.

If it is clean for the most part then you might just have a case of outright breakage inside. In either case, I offer the suggestion of an overhaul / replacement.

You ought to be seeing a Check Engine light in either case with missed shifts. Might be worth a look over with a scan tool
Sorry if I'm doing this wrong, but I wanted to help a bit and this is my first post. I've had trouble with my Intrepid for the past few weeks, swapped out a sensor and she seems to be okay so I like this answer, the sensors tend to go after 100k, just from old age and wiring.

If the CEL is on, instead of using a scan tool you can do the "key dance" to pull the codes stored in the computer. If you don't know what this is let me know! But definitely check the codes stored, the computer is rarely wrong.
starttoshiverx is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 174
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
I changed both sensors in early June. That was the first time they were changed. Check engine light isn't on right now. Not sure if I wanna swap out the transmission. I can get a 02 2.7 transmission for 250 with 88,000 on it. Or a 1G 120,000 for about 350. Still thinking about it. I know I already got my money out of it. But for 250. I'm sure I can get a few more years out of it. The engine still runs great. And still ride great.
Pedplar is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 174
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Just drove it down the street. No engine light. Check using the key. The only code is 55, so no codes. Tried auto stick from 2nd to 4th. And no 4th either. Still not sure what I'm gonna do. Leaks a little oil from the front crank seal,pretty easy fix. Needs a new cam position sensor. Every one in a while it will stall, pop the hood unplug and plug it back in starts back up. How much time does it take to put a 2nd Gen transmission in compared to a 1gen
Pedplar is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
GTXKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lowell, IN
Posts: 1,925
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedplar View Post
I changed both sensors in early June. That was the first time they were changed. Check engine light isn't on right now. Not sure if I wanna swap out the transmission. I can get a 02 2.7 transmission for 250 with 88,000 on it. Or a 1G 120,000 for about 350. Still thinking about it. I know I already got my money out of it. But for 250. I'm sure I can get a few more years out of it. The engine still runs great. And still ride great.
I'm not a fan of used transmissions. Swapping a trans is pretty big job. I would check around and see what it would cost to have someone rebuild your trans and you do the install.

Just my .02
GTXKen is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Adpros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Saint Louis Co
Posts: 1,757
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedplar View Post
Just drove it down the street. No engine light. Check using the key. The only code is 55, so no codes. Tried auto stick from 2nd to 4th. And no 4th either. Still not sure what I'm gonna do. Leaks a little oil from the front crank seal,pretty easy fix. Needs a new cam position sensor. Every one in a while it will stall, pop the hood unplug and plug it back in starts back up. How much time does it take to put a 2nd Gen transmission in compared to a 1gen
Just a curious note...

When you say this has a 1 - 2 upshift then tries to go into third, do the RPM's flare up and then fall back into 2nd? If so, that would cinch my judgement on a box.

If you want to give the solenoid and valve body a try, I'd be of the opinion that you'd only be doing that repair for the practice.
Adpros is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome