3.5L "K" question - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
3.5L "K" question

I'm picking up a 2002 3.5L K (HO) motor to replace the 2002 3.5 non-HO I put in the Trep last year. I originally had a 2003 2.7L. I'm currently using the original PCM that came with the 2.7.

So, my question is:
1. Will the HO run on the 2.7L PCM until I can locate an HO or Special PCM will all the necessary SKIM crap?
2. Will an Police /Interceptor PCM serve the same purpose as a Special PCM, and will I lose any features or functionality?

Last edited by lukas james; 05-15-2017 at 05:02 PM.
lukas james is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Woober Goobers!

 
Ronbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tiny Pebble, AR
Posts: 42,494
Feedback: 44 / 100%
                     
Well if you want the MTV and SRV functions of the HO to work you'll need a PCM that came from an HO equipped car. I'm assuming the engine swap to "K" was to get the HO functions? Should net you a whopping 5hp maybe!

With that....you might be opening a can of worms on the 3.5 PCM. Most if not all came with SKIM. So you would need the PCM/SKIM Module/At least one Sentry Ignition key as a set from the same car. Doesn't need to come from the car the engine came from...just a similar engine car. Most important is all the pieces are from one car. Don't think about Mix-n-Match from different cars on these parts.

"Just Junk It LLC."
"Just Charge It"...shit I fried my ECM!
Member of the Sold SRT-8 Magnums of DI.net Club!
Perky Jerky for Everyone!!
Crazy Rons House of Mega Deals
Ronbo is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
Well if you want the MTV and SRV functions of the HO to work you'll need a PCM that came from an HO equipped car. I'm assuming the engine swap to "K" was to get the HO functions? Should net you a whopping 5hp maybe!

With that....you might be opening a can of worms on the 3.5 PCM. Most if not all came with SKIM. So you would need the PCM/SKIM Module/At least one Sentry Ignition key as a set from the same car. Doesn't need to come from the car the engine came from...just a similar engine car. Most important is all the pieces are from one car. Don't think about Mix-n-Match from different cars on these parts.
Actually, the reason I'm switching to the "K" is because the 2 best deals I could find just happen to be K engines. It would be nice to be able to take advantage of the additional functions down the line, but I just wanted to be certain that the engine will function at all without the "prescribed" PCM.
Right now, I'm just trying to get a motor prepped and ready before the current 3.5 conks out on me.

I know I'm going to catch hell trying to locate a complete 3.5 PCM/SKIM combo with keys. Thats why I was wondering about the police PCM. I don't know whether the Interceptors were HO or even if they had SKIM, but I do know that they're the best bet around here for finding complete module sets with matching keys.
lukas james is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:15 PM
tgs
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis until Thanksgiving, then back to Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,431
Feedback: 3 / 100%
                     
The police package cars I've seen have all been 3.5HO and black key. None of them had skim.
Are you going to be at Dan's this weekend? I have one or two laying around I could bring with me.
Let me know...
tgs is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs View Post
The police package cars I've seen have all been 3.5HO and black key. None of them had skim.
Are you going to be at Dan's this weekend? I have one or two laying around I could bring with me.
Let me know...
HO and no SKIM is what I thought I remembered them to be as well.
Thanks for clearing that up, because I was beginning to not trust my own memory.
I wish I could make it out there this weekend, but with the current 3.5L knocking the way it does, I'm lucky to make it the 3 miles to work everyday.
lukas james is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:16 PM
Woober Goobers!

 
Ronbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tiny Pebble, AR
Posts: 42,494
Feedback: 44 / 100%
                     
Swap engines and keep your current intake/wiring harness and 2.7 pcm. All should be fine.

Later down the road you can get the HO intake on and a real PCM

Last edited by Ronbo; 05-15-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Ronbo is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
Swap engines and keep your current intake/wiring harness and 2.7 pcm. All should be fine.

Later down the road you can get the HO intake on and a real PCM
Thats what i needed to hear! Thanks Ronbo!
lukas james is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:31 PM
Woober Goobers!

 
Ronbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tiny Pebble, AR
Posts: 42,494
Feedback: 44 / 100%
                     
Should be able to use the intake and wiring harness as is on the "New" engine and not change anything now that I think about it. The 2.7 PCM won't be looking for the MTV/SRV solenoids so you shouldn't get codes for them even though they're connected.

Worst case is swap engine wiring harnesses but I don't think you'll even need to do that at this time.
Ronbo is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
Should be able to use the intake and wiring harness as is on the "New" engine and not change anything now that I think about it. The 2.7 PCM won't be looking for the MTV/SRV solenoids so you shouldn't get codes for them even though they're connected.

Worst case is swap engine wiring harnesses but I don't think you'll even need to do that at this time.
Now that sounds even better.
lukas james is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:14 PM
Woober Goobers!

 
Ronbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tiny Pebble, AR
Posts: 42,494
Feedback: 44 / 100%
                     
That'll be $20 for my premium advice! heh
Ronbo is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:03 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 14,648
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
What's funny is that I did the opposite, i.e., I'm running my 2.7 off my 3.2 HO PCM, and the only "issue" (actually, non-issue) is that it throws P1289 (Manifold Tune Valve Solenoid Circuit - An open or shorted condition detected in the manifold tuning valve solenoid control circuit), which doesn't light the CEL, so I'm happy. (Strangely, it doesn't throw the corresponding SRV code.)

It's been my daily driver for 2 years now since the engine swap, and zero problems (again, 2.7 engine running off a 3.2 HO PCM). Your doing the opposite is even "cleaner" since you don't even get a code since, as Ron said, the 2.7 PCM is oblivious to the presence of your MTV (and of course you just don't have the benefit of MTV/SRV).


'98 LXi - Later Concorde gages (black w/ chrome rings)/'99 LX - LHS gages (white) - HIR bulbs
peva is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 41
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peva View Post
What's funny is that I did the opposite, i.e., I'm running my 2.7 off my 3.2 HO PCM, and the only "issue" (actually, non-issue) is that it throws P1289 (Manifold Tune Valve Solenoid Circuit - An open or shorted condition detected in the manifold tuning valve solenoid control circuit), which doesn't light the CEL, so I'm happy. (Strangely, it doesn't throw the corresponding SRV code.)

It's been my daily driver for 2 years now since the engine swap, and zero problems (again, 2.7 engine running off a 3.2 HO PCM). Your doing the opposite is even "cleaner" since you don't even get a code since, as Ron said, the 2.7 PCM is oblivious to the presence of your MTV (and of course you just don't have the benefit of MTV/SRV).
That is excellent news. Nice to know I can take my time in finding a Special PCM and still be able to use the motor.
I just picked up the engine this afternoon. It took an hour and half just to get there, an hour to inspect and load up the motor, and an hour and 15 minutes to get back. Going to go out and grab an engine stand in the morning so I can clean it, change out the water pump and timing belt and pull the pan to inspect the bearings. the bearings.
lukas james is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Random Question

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome