oil in spark plugs - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
Horus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seminole, Florida
Posts: 297
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
oil in spark plugs

When I changed the spark plugs there was a little bit of oil on the bottom of the spark plugs, one person told me it could be the valve cover gasket, another person told me it could be the O rings, idk what O rings are but
Horus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:59 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 34,200
Feedback: 20 / 100%
                     
Garage
Spark plug tube seals. The upper ones should have came with the valve covers, and to seal the lower ones you need to remove the tube that is leaking from the head, and put a light coat of RTV around the bottom of it. Since you just changed the valve cover gasket, I would wait and see if they leak again.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
Horus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seminole, Florida
Posts: 297
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
i didn't change the valve cover gasket, i dont even know how to do it and idk what the tube seals are. are the tube seals the coil things you put over top of the spark plugs?
Horus is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
TCPMeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,935
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
The rubber doughnut things labeled in the picture as SPARK PLUG WELL GASKETS. On our vars there are three to each valve cover.

TCPMeta is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
Horus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seminole, Florida
Posts: 297
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
oh, how do i change that, do you think i could do it on my own?
Horus is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 PM
yippee ki yay

 
TrepCruzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 5,810
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
oh, how do i change that, do you think i could do it on my own?
yeah you can do it on your own......it will take somewhere around an hour and a half to do.....you'll want to disconnect the electrial connectors on the upper intake plenum and throttle body..disconnect the vaccum connections on the upper intake plenum and PCV tube to value cover. Disconnect the throttle and cruise cable from the throttle body and cold air tube from the throttle body. remove the 2 bolts for the egr tube directly behind the throttle body. When removing the bolts for the upper intake plenum there is one nut directly behind and under the throttle body for the upper intake plenum to be removed. Once that has been done you have pretty good access to the valve covers and to change out those gaskets.

***Caution**** If there is the slightest bit of rust on the 2 bolts for the egr tube....use some PB Blast to help break those bolts loose or they will snap and break when trying to remove them.

Last edited by TrepCruzin; 06-01-2010 at 05:35 PM.
TrepCruzin is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 PM
yippee ki yay

 
TrepCruzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 5,810
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrepCruzin View Post
yeah you can do it on your own......it will take somewhere around an hour and a half to do.....you'll want to disconnect the electrial connectors on the upper intake plenum and throttle body..disconnect the vaccum connections on the upper intake plenum and PCV tube to value cover. Disconnect the throttle and cruise cable from the throttle body and cold air tube from the throttle body. remove the 2 bolts for the egr tube directly behind the throttle body. When removing the bolts for the upper intake plenum there is one nut directly behind and under the throttle body for the upper intake plenum to be removed. Once that has been done you have pretty good access to the valve covers and to change out those gaskets.

***Caution**** If there is the slightest bit of rust on the 2 bolts for the egr tube....use some PB Blast to help break those bolts loose or they will snap and break when trying to remove them.
I sorry I just notice I gave you the layout for the 2.7 motor....the 3.2 is pretty much similar.....if i'm missing anything....chime in......
TrepCruzin is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 34,200
Feedback: 20 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCPMeta View Post
The rubber doughnut things labeled in the picture as SPARK PLUG WELL GASKETS. On our vars there are three to each valve cover.
That will take care of the top of the plug tubes, but in most cases, the plug tubes work loose and must be resealed on the bottom...which involves removing the plug tubes when you have the valve cover off, and giving them a coat of RTV on the bottom, and reinstalling. The oil will seep in from the bottom of the plug tubes if this is the case, and the oil will just be in the bottom. If leaking from the top, the inside of the tube will be coated with oil. They more commonly leak in from the bottom, since the tube sits just above the seal on the top, and it has to be an extreme leak for it to go up and over the top of the tube.

This should ONLY be done to the tubes that are leaking.


1998 Dodge Intrepid
Ram Logistics Director; Danbo Truck & Diesel, Inc.
Proud sponsor of Just Junk It, LLC
President, Danbo Drumming Ventures, GmbH; Danbo-On-Drums
Daytrepper is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
TCPMeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,935
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrepper View Post
That will take care of the top of the plug tubes, but in most cases, the plug tubes work loose and must be resealed on the bottom...which involves removing the plug tubes when you have the valve cover off, and giving them a coat of RTV on the bottom, and reinstalling. The oil will seep in from the bottom of the plug tubes if this is the case, and the oil will just be in the bottom. If leaking from the top, the inside of the tube will be coated with oil. They more commonly leak in from the bottom, since the tube sits just above the seal on the top, and it has to be an extreme leak for it to go up and over the top of the tube.

This should ONLY be done to the tubes that are leaking.
hhmm, I wonder if that is the reason why mine keeps filling with oil on cylinder three.
TCPMeta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome