Originally Posted by 99dodgeintrepid
What steps are needed to change the oil pan gasket?
I've never done it, so I can't comment on how hard it is, but here is what the shop manual says:
(1) Remove dipstick and tube.
(2) Raise vehicle on hoist.
(3) Drain engine oil and remove oil filter.
(4) Disconnect suspension stabilizer bar and reposition
for oil pan clearance. (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/
FRONT/STABILIZER BAR - REMOVAL)
(5) Remove structural collar from oil pan to transmission
housing (Fig. 91).
(6) Remove lower bolt attaching the A/C compressor
to oil pan.
(7) Disconnect engine oil cooler line from pan (if
CAUTION: Assure removal of the two bolts attaching
the timing cover to the oil pan, as damage to
the timing cover and/or oil pan may occur.
(8) Remove oil pan attaching fasteners. Remove oil
pan and gasket (Fig. 92).
(1) Clean oil pan and sealing surfaces. Inspect oil
pan and timing chain cover gaskets. Replace as necessary.
(2) Apply an 1/8 inch bead of Mopart Engine RTV
GEN II to the front T-joints (oil pan gasket to timing
cover gasket interface) and the rear T-joints (oil pangasket to crankshaft rear oil seal retainer gasket
interface) (Fig. 92).
(3) Install oil pan gasket to block.
NOTE: To prevent oil leaks at oil pan to timing
chain cover, the following tightening sequence procedure
must be performed.
(4) Install oil pan and fasteners (Fig. 92) using the
following tightening sequence:
(a) Install oil pan bolts and nuts finger tight
only—just tight enough to compress the gasket’s
(b) Install timing chain cover to pan bolts and
tighten to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.).
(c) Tighten oil pan bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.).
(d) Tighten oil pan nuts to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.).
(5) Install lower bolt attaching the A/C compressor
to oil pan. Tighten bolt to 28 N·m (21 ft. lbs.).
(6) Connect engine oil cooler line to oil pan (if
CAUTION: The collar must be tighten using the following
procedure, as damage to the collar or oil
pan may occur.
(7) Install structural collar (Fig. 91) using the following
(a) Install the vertical collar to oil pan bolts.
Torque bolts initially to 1.1 N·m (10 in. lbs.).
(b) Install the horizontal collar to transmission
bolts and torque to 55 N·m (40 ft. lbs.).
(c) Starting with the center vertical bolts and
working outward, final torque bolts to 55 N·m (40
(8) Install oil filter and drain plug.
(9) Connect suspension stabilizer bar. (Refer to 2 -
SUSPENSION/FRONT/STABILIZER BAR - INSTALLATION)
(10) Lower vehicle and install oil dipstick and
(11) Fill engine crankcase with proper oil to correct