1998 Dodge Intrepid How do you change the brake pads and rotors. - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
mark98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Talking 1998 Dodge Intrepid How do you change the brake pads and rotors.

Can anyone tell me the steps and things to look out for when replacing rear brake pads and rotors on my 98 dodge intrepid.

like a step by step .
mark98 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Garfield Rules
 
95trep3.3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 9,104
Feedback: 4 / 100%
                     
jack the car up
pull the wheels off
Remover the caliper bolts 10mm
pull off the caliper
place the caliper in a safe spot that is not putting stress on the hose. (on top of a milk crate/bucket is usually where I put it)
slide off the rotor
put the new rotor on with one lug nut to hold it in place
remover the old pads
get a caliper piston tool and push in the piston or a C-clamp will do (you didn't top off the reservoir did you? if so you might want to take some out before you push the piston in) (if you have ABS ignore that, and read next step)
If you have ABS you will need to loosen the bleeder screw to push the piston back in.
clean up brake fluid mess
install new pads
put caliper back on the mount.
tighten the bolts
clean the whole brake assembly with break cleaner
put wheel back on and repeat on the other side

November 2011 COTM winner
R.I.P Kyle you will be missed.
95trep3.3 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
mark98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95trep3.3 View Post
jack the car up
pull the wheels off
Remover the caliper bolts 10mm
pull off the caliper
place the caliper in a safe spot that is not putting stress on the hose. (on top of a milk crate/bucket is usually where I put it)
slide off the rotor
put the new rotor on with one lug nut to hold it in place
remover the old pads
get a caliper piston tool and push in the piston or a C-clamp will do (you didn't top off the reservoir did you? if so you might want to take some out before you push the piston in) (if you have ABS ignore that, and read next step)
If you have ABS you will need to loosen the bleeder screw to push the piston back in.
clean up brake fluid mess
install new pads
put caliper back on the mount.
tighten the bolts
clean the whole brake assembly with break cleaner
put wheel back on and repeat on the other side
Thanks you very much
mark98 is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 12
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Good advice, just one more thing though. Before compressing the caliper piston - remove the cap to the brake fluid reservoir.
ridad88 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
mark98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Hey guys I got er done but sheesh hell of a job getting the one f****** rotor off kept on prying er and prying er and hitting er she would not come I had to go underneath the som mamam bitch and starting to try to fiddle with the emergency brake and free er.

Pain in the ass but I got er done.
mark98 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 PM
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.


 
MrBigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Pickerington OH
Posts: 18,564
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Yeah when I did the rear brakes on my Trep last year, driver's side rear required a good bit of persuasion with my 8lb sledge. Looked like that rotor had been on there a LONG time.

Good job tho! Saved yourself some $$$ by going the DIY route.
MrBigE is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Garfield Rules
 
95trep3.3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 9,104
Feedback: 4 / 100%
                     
Rust! it sucks. I forgot to mention once you are done to pump the pedal as soon as you get in the car before you go anywhere or the car will not be able to stop. Glad to hear you got it done!
95trep3.3 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
mark98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigE View Post
Yeah when I did the rear brakes on my Trep last year, driver's side rear required a good bit of persuasion with my 8lb sledge. Looked like that rotor had been on there a LONG time.

Good job tho! Saved yourself some $$$ by going the DIY route.
yea buddy sheeesh myne had been there since she came out of the assembly !!!!!

I had to rip of the little circular metal clips of the rotor around the studs.
I had read those are only on when shes brand new.

she only has 52, 816 miles on er
mark98 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
mark98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95trep3.3 View Post
Rust! it sucks. I forgot to mention once you are done to pump the pedal as soon as you get in the car before you go anywhere or the car will not be able to stop. Glad to hear you got it done!
yea budddy I knew that to make the piston press the brake pads closer

but thanks for that
mark98 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:07 PM
NEVER NEUTRAL
 
trepnician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,638
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark98 View Post
Hey guys I got er done but sheesh hell of a job getting the one f****** rotor off kept on prying er and prying er and hitting er she would not come I had to go underneath the som mamam bitch and starting to try to fiddle with the emergency brake and free er.

Pain in the ass but I got er done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigE View Post
Yeah when I did the rear brakes on my Trep last year, driver's side rear required a good bit of persuasion with my 8lb sledge. Looked like that rotor had been on there a LONG time.

Good job tho! Saved yourself some $$$ by going the DIY route.
earlier this year me and a co-worker put front brakes on a ram 2500 with a cummins. probably the worst ive ever done in my life. rotors would not come of for any thing. air hammer couldnt even get them off. eventually had to gut the rotor into peices with a torch to get it off.
trepnician is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
mark98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg616 (v2) View Post
earlier this year me and a co-worker put front brakes on a ram 2500 with a cummins. probably the worst ive ever done in my life. rotors would not come of for any thing. air hammer couldnt even get them off. eventually had to gut the rotor into peices with a torch to get it off.
sheesh buddy sounds like that was a prick job and a half GUT THE ROTOR!!!?

ahhh crap buddy that woulda put me away.
mark98 is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:14 PM
NEVER NEUTRAL
 
trepnician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,638
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark98 View Post
sheesh buddy sounds like that was a prick job and a half GUT THE ROTOR!!!?

ahhh crap buddy that woulda put me away.
ahh i meant to say cut the rotor in half! lol my bad, but yes it was probably the worst one i have ever done. spent a few hours on that one rotor alone
trepnician is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
mark98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg616 (v2) View Post
ahh i meant to say cut the rotor in half! lol my bad, but yes it was probably the worst one i have ever done. spent a few hours on that one rotor alone
oh ok lol
mark98 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Random Question

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome