Best to use a 3-jaw puller on it, but they can be pretty close to impossible to separate if it's rusted. Last Fall when I did one of mine, I broke a medium-size 3-jaw puller that I owned, and got a 7-ton loaner puller from O'Reilly, and it started pulling the hub into a wave shape without pushing the axle out, and it mushroomed the tip of the puller with a 4-foot cheater pipe on the wrench I had on it. Of course I used P-B Blaster, and hit the end of the puller bolt with a large hammer with the pressure cranked up, and also tried heat as a last resort with no success. I ended up pulling the axle out with the hub/bearing assembly and replacing the axle too. The outer CV joint was slightly bigger than the hole in the steerking knuckle, so I had to grind down the diameter of the CV joint about 1/16" all around so it would come thru. A 45-minute job turned into a half-day ordeal.
That was worst case. Between my two Concordes, I've done it several times before without that problem - P-B Blaster and a 3-jaw puller always worked without problem, but this particular one was rusted on pretty badly - probably that one had never been separated since new and I think the car had maybe lived part of its life in the rust belt.
'98 LXi - Later Concorde gages (black w/ chrome rings)/'99 LX - LHS gages (white) - HIR bulbs
Last edited by peva; 07-07-2012 at 01:25 PM.