DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

2001 Dodge Intrepid just randomly stopped working.

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  joe_ 
#1 ·
So my girlfriend's car has been working pretty well since I started dating her over a year ago. We had the brakes fixed a week or two ago, which costed us a good 540 dollars... and now there's a new problem! Ugh.

I went to work today and the car ran fine, with no problems. Then when my girlfriend hops in to go to work we start driving down the street and the car is having a lot of trouble starting. It would start, but then shut off. All the lights would be on and everything, so I know it wasn't the battery. We try to start it a few times and finally get it going. We start driving, but when we get to a stop sign the car turns off again and we have to restart it. We got about 6 blocks before and it kept doing this, and then the check engine light turns on! And then it won't even start anymore. I finally got it parked somewhere, and we had to walk back home and she just had to take her bike to work. I'm going to go back over to the car later and see if I can get it started and bring it back home... and now I'm gonna have to pay even more money for it...

So does anyone have any guess as to what might be wrong with it? It was running fine before this happened.

#7 ·
That is battery disconnected within last 50 starts. Not a code related to your issue, nor cause for concern.

Start with the crankshaft and camshaft sensors, a common cause of random stalling/no starts.....replace both...

#8 ·
When it stalled, you didn't happen to notice if the cruise control would turn itself on, did you? (green "cruise" light on the gauge cluster) Mine was stalling a month or two ago, and that light would come on whenever it stalled. Turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor that was going bad. Pretty easy part to replace, thankfully.

#10 ·
A dying fuel pump can also cause stalling and hard starting. You might be able to borrow or rent a fuel pressure gauge from an auto parts store to test it. The gauge connects to the fuel rail on top of the engine and should read somewhere around 58 psi according to the factory service manual. If the pressure is low or jumps around a lot while the engine is running, it's time for a new fuel pump.

#12 ·
Actually the cruise light was turning on! We're still trying to get someone to look at it though. I wish we could get it fixed before the weekend because we needed it to drive an hour or so to go to my girlfriend's father's memorial, but it looks like that's not gonna happen... :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.