3.5 HO K&N Cold Air Intake - Page 2 - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #16 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
DjGreggieP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 4,073
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
I need to do a small amount of modifying yet, but I am running an AFE dry flow filter in the factory box with the tube from my 2.7 K&N kit.

Just need some mild cutting to fit and mild shaving / sealing and get it all hooked up. Hoping she's set for spring time.
DjGreggieP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 835
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjGreggieP View Post
I need to do a small amount of modifying yet, but I am running an AFE dry flow filter in the factory box with the tube from my 2.7 K&N kit.

Just need some mild cutting to fit and mild shaving / sealing and get it all hooked up. Hoping she's set for spring time.


Last edited by gardidien; 02-24-2013 at 05:38 PM.
gardidien is offline  
post #18 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
CaptainMorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio
Posts: 6,239
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirdy View Post
I got a lightly used k&n for free. Otherwise I wouldn't dish out the money to buy it. I'd probably just go to autozone and buy a few Spectra pieces, a barbed fitting from the hardware, and a decent oiled filter and put it together myself. And a piece of sheet metal to make a "box". If I was really feeling cheap, PVC works pretty well too.

Honestly, they are more upkeep and have potential to allow more dust past. A paper filter restricts some because it has to to filter out smaller particals. I'm not sure if they still do, but fram used to make a washable dry filter that claimed to flow better and still filter like a paper one. Maybe they made/make one for our cars?
PVC is a bad idea. It's been discussed at length before, but heating PVC to under hood temperatures releases some really nasty gasses.

The paper filters do catch more particles, but there has been extensive testing with K&N and similar brands and I've never seen any engine failures attributed to their use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfrc View Post
K+N is a respectable company , but cold air intakes for the street are a total
waste of money. Marketing at it's worst " for the consumer ".
I think you're spreading bad information in this thread. Even if you disregarded any power gains it still isn't a waste of money. If you're keeping the car for a while then the mileage difference plus not having to replace air filters will eventually add up.

I don't accept the premise that for street use they are a waste, but lets apply that premise to other modifications that people like us do. Are you trying to say that any performance modifications for street cars are a waste, or are they only a waste if they increase your top end? Either way, I think you are missing the point.

People like us that are into performance modifications for daily drivers want a fun car to drive. Do you have a problem with that?

In any case, I think you're dead wrong that gains in the top end aren't useful for a street car. It depends on where you drive. If you have to pass or merge at certain speeds it's incredibly useful. If I'm trying to pass on the way to work I'll go all the way through the top of second gear to do so. There are a couple of highway entrance ramps around here where merging is insane, and you have to go from a near stop to 65mph traffic before someone hits you. Those moments may not come every day, but some extra pep sure as hell has some value when you're in those spots.

I will say that I think a CAI or exhaust is a nice start and a fun mod, but you get a whole lot more out of them if you'll be doing more to the engine down the road. Creating better flow only helps so much on an otherwise stock engine.



My car won't ever be done because I'm insane. That is all.
CaptainMorgan is offline  
post #19 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Intrepticon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,391
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                   
I have to agree with Captain morgan here... Just from my personal experience, I live on a dirt road out in the country. on average I do an oil change every 5000 km, at that point I check my Two filters, (air box & crankcase vent).

Now here's the math... filters cost about $20 box & $17 for crankcase. K & N $80 for box and $25 for crankcase, recharge kit $20. After the fourth "recharge" the filters paid for themselves. So as a street car they are useful cost wise.

As for the CAI piping, ncfrc your right. The cost for these are pretty high. K&N lists CAI piping for $250 approx. For 3 feet of molded plastic that's pretty steep considering I did the same for $50 worth of ABS piping. Dirdy you want to use ABS not PVC. In my earlier years of owning cars I made piping out of PVC and killed many sensors in the engine. Finaly a mechanic told me to switch to ABS and my sensors stopped failing. Not to mention nasty vapours going into the intake manifold.

"The Intrepticon" Click Image for Mods & Pics

Intrepticon is offline  
post #20 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 14,193
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishihadacharger View Post
I have to agree with Captain morgan here... Just from my personal experience, I live on a dirt road out in the country. on average I do an oil change every 5000 km, at that point I check my Two filters, (air box & crankcase vent)...
When I installed a K&N in 2001, the instruction sheet that came with it said not to use it where it would be exposed to "agricultural dust". Anyone who's worked on a farm knows what that means. At the time, I worked in a mining area with gravel roads, so the last mile and a half or so of my commute was pretty much the equivalent of agricultural dust.

After reading the study showing the difference between filtering effectiveness of paper filters and K&N, and remembering what the instruction sheet with the K&N had said, I went back to paper.

Just saying that the heavier the amount of dust in the air, the more reason you have not to use the oiled filter, and, unless you clean it very often, the dust in the filter will absorb all the oil so you end up with a very coarse filter with no benefit from the oil grabbing the particles, and you will either be cleaning it *very* often (a PITA compared to swapping a new paper filter) to keep it from clogging, or you will will be letting a lot of dirt into your engine (just like the study showed).

I agree that it will not be a catastrophic failure of the engine or maybe not even significantly shortened engine life. Just saying weigh everything in your decision depending on your particular situation.


'98 LXi - Later Concorde gages (black w/ chrome rings)/'99 LX - LHS gages (white) - HIR bulbs
peva is offline  
post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Intrepticon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,391
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                   
sorry should have been a little more clear ... most of the roads are paved, just mine isn't... as for Agricultural Dust.. that's something different... I suspect they are referring to Grain dust (harvesting) We have a Kabota tractor that takes the same air filter as our Ford 350 so we could get a K & N for it....

as for the gravel road dust is dust...
Intrepticon is offline  
post #22 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
DjGreggieP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 4,073
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardidien View Post
I will try and get some pics this weekend. Need a rubber / silicone connector and possible some fibreglass matting.
DjGreggieP is offline  
post #23 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 14,193
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishihadacharger View Post
sorry should have been a little more clear ... most of the roads are paved, just mine isn't... as for Agricultural Dust.. that's something different... I suspect they are referring to Grain dust (harvesting) We have a Kabota tractor that takes the same air filter as our Ford 350 so we could get a K & N for it...
If no dust, then maybe, but if a lot of dust, definitely not a K&N.
peva is offline  
post #24 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Woober Goobers!

 
Ronbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tiny Pebble, AR
Posts: 39,937
Feedback: 44 / 100%
                     
Never had a problem with my K&N filters in moderate dusty conditions. Guess it depends on the size of the "dust"!
Ronbo is online now  
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
DjGreggieP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 4,073
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Living in a rural area my K&N cone filter was always filthy. This why I run an AFE dry flow panel filter in my car and truck now. Washable and reusable and no oiling required
DjGreggieP is offline  
post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
CaptainMorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio
Posts: 6,239
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by peva View Post
When I installed a K&N in 2001, the instruction sheet that came with it said not to use it where it would be exposed to "agricultural dust". Anyone who's worked on a farm knows what that means. At the time, I worked in a mining area with gravel roads, so the last mile and a half or so of my commute was pretty much the equivalent of agricultural dust.

After reading the study showing the difference between filtering effectiveness of paper filters and K&N, and remembering what the instruction sheet with the K&N had said, I went back to paper.

Just saying that the heavier the amount of dust in the air, the more reason you have not to use the oiled filter, and, unless you clean it very often, the dust in the filter will absorb all the oil so you end up with a very coarse filter with no benefit from the oil grabbing the particles, and you will either be cleaning it *very* often (a PITA compared to swapping a new paper filter) to keep it from clogging, or you will will be letting a lot of dirt into your engine (just like the study showed).

I agree that it will not be a catastrophic failure of the engine or maybe not even significantly shortened engine life. Just saying weigh everything in your decision depending on your particular situation.
That's a good point for specific conditions. For myself that isn't a problem, my areas are rarely very dusty at all.
CaptainMorgan is offline  
post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Intrepticon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,391
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                   
I don't know.. I notice the same amount of crap on both filters... I chose K&N for the cost factor.. then again as I said in my previous post.. I have 2 on my car but then again I clean them regularly. every 3 months.
Intrepticon is offline  
post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
CaptainMorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio
Posts: 6,239
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishihadacharger View Post
I don't know.. I notice the same amount of crap on both filters... I chose K&N for the cost factor.. then again as I said in my previous post.. I have 2 on my car but then again I clean them regularly. every 3 months.
I do need to be better about cleaning and maintaining my filter. It's about that time to give the car some TLC, hopefully the last round of road salt is done, but I'm not holding my breath.
CaptainMorgan is offline  
post #29 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
DTFTH45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 33
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Sorry it has been a while, I am not sure if I am ready to spend the money on the whole intake since I am going to college next year. My goal is deeper sound. Am I correct in assuming that if I replace "1" it will also get rid of "2" (resonator) and I will have more growl?

Intrepid Engine.jpg
DTFTH45 is offline  
post #30 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
ncfrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VT ,, USA
Posts: 743
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox82 View Post
sounds nice, couplea hps at wot.... Not going to be an amazing change performance wise.
+1 :d
ncfrc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome