DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

65 manifold tuning valve, open or short detected

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  GTXKen 
#1 ·
Pulled a new code on the Vision today, I haven't seen this one posted here before. Anyway to do further diagnosis or testing? Can anything else cause this reading?

Thanks
Ken

#2 ·
All the searching I have done here and there are only a few threads, nothing recent or very useful. Additionally no parts stores carry these, I'll try a dealer today just to check.

Please chime in if you have any info for me?

#5 ·
Thanks, I have a manifold complete with MTV in the shed that I can play with. I just want cant seem to find any information on these things. Seems like they don't go bad and you cant find a replacement!

#7 ·
Don't listen to him, he's a 3.3 guy....

It is the solenoid on the passenger front strut tower, There is either one or two solenoids on the strut tower based on year, probably if OBDI or OBDII. I know that in 1993 there are two solenoids - if that is the case, it is the smaller around of the two solenoids, and if 1996, it is the only solenoid. It is back around where the engine/transmission bulk connectors are.

So, yes, Devan the 3.3 guy knows what he's talking about. +rep for being a great guy who gives information that is out of his 'zone' but is correct non-the-less!

#8 ·
Thanks Guys,

So what I hear is its not the valve on the manifold causing the issue but the solenoid(s) mounted on the PS strut tower that control the valve. Mine is a 95 OBDI so I'm assuming its two solenoids. I still can't find the parts on the Rock Auto site or any others. Any ideas there?

My daughter has the car in Champaign IL right now, about 110 miles south. Shes bringing it back in two weeks, in the mean time I can look at the frankentrep to become familiar with its location.

#10 ·
When I did my conversion, I had to get a new set of valves. The valve I had was just the 3.3 EVAP solenoid, and it is different than either of the 3.5 solenoids, even though the plug was the same. Since my donor car was a 1996, I had to source valves else where. I just went with the check engine light till someone here on the board got me a set of valves from a junk yard.

I need to look up who that was!

#12 ·
I was working on the Frankentrep now and see where its mounted. I cant do much more until I get my car back and see if there are 1 or 2 and what it looks like.

#13 ·
I got the Vision back Friday and was able to do some work on it over the weekend. There is only one MTV solenoid and it is mounted the the same place as those on my Intrepids. The bracket is a bit different because it includes the Purge Valve. I swapped in a different solenoid and cleared the codes, we'll see if it comes back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.