DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

New owner in Oregon

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  98IntrepidTan 
#1 ·
I recently bought my boss' Intrepid 3.2 after a water pump failure. $40 for the pump and belt and $300 for the car. Always looking for info on it so I thought I ought to join.
So far the car has been great. I lost a trans cooling line but no other problems and I felt the line go (I have had a couple of Caravans that the same thing happened to, familiar with the rev flare etc) so no damage to trans.
The cd player worked great when I got it but has since failed, think it needs a clean. Front door speakers are missing in action. Front window brackets toast, having a friend machine me some better ones. Door weatherstripping appears to have shrunk in length.
Otherwise everything works, and works very well. Already fixed the climate control display and it is now my daily driver. Love driving it, especially giving it some gas.
As with all 90s Chrysler products I've owned it feels a bit cheap sometimes, but I love it and it is in-keeping with the Star Trek theme (Last Chrysler was a Voyager - amusingly the same class of ship in the ST universe as the intrepid, so I figure it was meant to be! Yes, I'm a nerd. deal with it).

So, I'll be lurking and looking for solutions to some of the less important problems here, but here's a list of things I have already dealt with:
- New water pump and timing belt
- New accy drive belt and idler pulley
- Occasional blend air door sticking (I just turn the temp down to Lo then back up again, that works every time)
- Trans service
- Champion platinum plugs
- Resolder climate control display board
- Routine maintenance

I have no fear of cars, they're some of the most elementary and elegant machines, love working on them, even this one.....

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome aboard.

Ask away, we'll help, even if the two guys above provide some corny answers.

for the weather door stripping you could remove the plastic cover and re install the stripping and have a small gap at the bottom, or cut another piece to fill the void or get newer (02+) weather stripping. Same thing happened in my '00.

#7 ·
Feeling welcome!

That's odd, so many Intrepids here in the rainforest, almost bought a second one for the wife, an '00 for $600, but it had a bad trans, that's a pain in the butt I don't want to deal with.

Enjoying the car so far, plan to keep it for quite some time. Don't really have any intention of souping it up, but I do plan on upgrading a few things such as headlights, the missing foglight switch and maybe some convenience options like a built-in inverter.

Thank you guys for the welcome, and the tip regarding the weatherstripping. I was thinking of doing the cut'n'paste option. Will be dealing with that once I get around to fixing the window brackets, have to gin up a design in CAD and have my buddy mill me one out of T6 billet and see it it'll work. If that's the case there may be some extras being made...

Again, thanks for the welcome, I am always happy to see forums like this one, they are an incredible resource!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.