DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

cam position sensor

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  peva 
#1 ·
I replaced my cam sensor and it went out in about a hundred miles. my battery lite came on before it went out the first time. It is still on. is this a sign of another problem?

#3 ·
As far as the battery light goes, it could mean your alternator is going.

How old is your battery, did it ever get completely discharged, did you use your car to boost start another one with your engine running?

Hard to tell without more info.

Do you have the CEL lighted up, do you get any error codes if you do the key dance?

#4 ·
it is a after market sensor,the one I replaced is to it lasted about 5 years.mabe I was lucky.what is the key dance? I haven't jumped any one.the battery didn't act like it has lost power at all.my wife drove it three days to work and back lites on and heater too.could it be a voltage regulator problem and would that cause the senisor problem?

#5 ·
Key dance: put the key in the igntion and turn it to On-Off-On-Off-On without starting the engine. Then look at the odometer, it will read out some codes ending with 'dOnE'. Write down the codes and post them here. The codes will be a 'P' followed by a 4-digit number.

#6 ·
well I thought I would give a up date. tha alternator is shot.so I did the key dance (thanx joe) and the codes said low voltage on all 6 coils. the battery had 11.9 volts while the car is idoling. when I got the battery charged and let it idol for 5 minutes the cel went out and runs fine also no codes. so I guess it was the alternator. thank you guys for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.