I ran into a couple of stumbling blocks the past couple of days. The first is that I really can't install the woofers exactly how I had wanted. I'm going to have to settle for setting them back a bit and a little more off axis than I intended. It'll still work great, just a change of plans that I was forced into when I started sitting in the car and figuring out the speakers were in the way of fitting your legs in there too. I'm a skinny guy and I wouldn't have fit.
The other one is that I have had a hell of a time gluing dowels to mount the speaker rings in place. I tried super glue to get something that could cure quick while I held it in place, then I could reinforce with something better before glassing. That didn't work. Super glue didn't bond the wood to the resin at all. I also couldn't get most tapes to stick either for temporary holds. I finally found double sided mounting tape that held on well enough for all purpose Gorilla glue to do the job.
I also did use the rolled up paper trick to aim the tweeter rings. It looks really ghetto with how it's supported, but it works. It's definitely a cool trick.
For the pictures of the paper tube aiming trick don't worry about how the passenger side has a bend in the middle. Those pictures were taken the day after I actually aimed the tweeters. When the rings were mounted it was straight.
Now to the good stuff.
Here I am ready to start glassing the next step. Taped up the end of the dash really well, then 3 layers of mold release wax (just carnauba wax, but I got some mold release version in my last glass order since it was cheap). I screwed the pod base onto the door panel with a large trashbag in between, and then another bag over the door jam/carpet.
Then I glasses in the crevice between the door and the dash the best I could with the door closed. It didn't fill exactly into the corners, but is sealed up, strong, and fits great against the dash.
I'll clean those up plenty before final finishing. I'm still being liberal around the edges until I'm ready to wrap and glass to see what shape I'm really going for. Some reinforced filler in gaps, sanding where needed, and it'll work perfect closing against the dash.
Then I moved to aiming the tweeter pods. I knew I wanted them at the top to get them as close to head level as possible (and that the space was there). Here is the rolled paper tube method for aiming speakers. The point where the tubes meet is just a little in front of my face in the drivers seat. This is a single listener car, whenever other people are with me I never have the music up very loud. The paper method looks ghetto, but I just temporarily got it attached wherever I could and then when I needed a counterweight I grabbed whatever was in arms reach and found a glue bottle.
After I let that glue dry overnight I pulled the pieces carefully and added a couple more dowels and glue to reinforce. The placement in the car was tough with all the physical considerations, so I just needed it strong enough to hold it in place. Now it's good to go and I can move on to getting the woofers aimed. Ignore the white mounting tape in a few spots. I'll cut that off with a razor before I move on.
More to come soon. I want to get these totally glassed in the next few days.