Still don't get it - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 520
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Still don't get it

I've looked at the various threads and I'm still in the dark. I'm going to replace all the original speakers in my '01 RT (infinity) system so I'm looking into various options. One is a Power Acoustik LT980/2 amplifier that I got for free. I'm trying to see if I can find a way to make it work for me. I haven't seen the original amp, but based on the location I have to believe it is a lot smaller than this Power Acoustik, which means it won't fit anywhere other than the trunk, and I'm probably too lazy for that. But here's the other issue I need help with: reading reviews I see that it uses a lot of power and gets sizzling hot. One guy even suggested getting another battery. Is this common among amps? Is there a limit for this sort of thing that I should not go above?
drynoc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
2ToneR/T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 364
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
well...it IS an amplifier...it draws so many watts and sends it to the speakers u have hooked up to it...they DO tend to be hot or at least pretty warm...the factory amp is pretty small...and designed to be contained in a small place....aftermarket amps not so much....most people probably mount amps in the trunk, or under a seat....its out of the way and gets a decent air flow and not crammed into a tight space where overheating can occur.....I have a 00' R/T with the Infinity 240 watt amp set up....instead of replacing the amp I just replaced the speakers with brand new Infinity Kappa speakers....sounds great, better than stock by far....and kept the factory amp....no muss, no fuss, no wiring and easy enough for me to perform myself....I've had amps, subs, capacitors and eq's in the past....thats all good..but the wiring and set up need to be thought out and put in optimally for best performance.....hope u get the system u ultimately want! Good luck!
2ToneR/T is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
2ToneR/T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 364
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
oh, and unless u r kicking up alot more power than the factory amp u won't need another battery....perhaps a larger alternator if its alot higher wattage and maybe an Optima gel type car battery...if u go all out and start putting in multiple amps and caps and stuff u will definitely want another battery just for the amps/caps for the deep bass hits....not sure what u r thinking of for you're setup but hope this helps a little...if nothing else visit a stereo install place and go over it with them and see what they think...if they won't help u then they aren't very reputable....
2ToneR/T is offline  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 520
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Thanks

Thanks, 2toneRT. My initial plan was just to replace the speakers, but I do have that amp sitting around and I thought I would see if there is a use for it. As I said, I'm way too lazy to install it in the trunk when the existing system is good enough. I have read that I need 2 ohm speakers to go with the existing amp - are the speakers that you bought 2 ohm? And where did you get them?
drynoc is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
CaptainMorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio
Posts: 6,239
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by drynoc View Post
Thanks, 2toneRT. My initial plan was just to replace the speakers, but I do have that amp sitting around and I thought I would see if there is a use for it. As I said, I'm way too lazy to install it in the trunk when the existing system is good enough. I have read that I need 2 ohm speakers to go with the existing amp - are the speakers that you bought 2 ohm? And where did you get them?
That amp you've got has some serious power, and could give you a huge jump in sound from the factory amp.

You don't need a second battery to run that amp though. That's absurd, but you're going to have to put it in the trunk. To do a super simple install just screw it to the back seats and you don't have to build an amp rack or anything. The wiring really wouldn't be that hard, and I would say totally worth doing.

Upgrading just the speakers could help plenty though if you aren't looking for a huge improvement.



My car won't ever be done because I'm insane. That is all.
CaptainMorgan is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 835
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                   
I ran wires from the battery to the trunk and speaker wires everywhere in a few hours one day. It wasn't too bad at all. I have my amp screwed to the back of my seat.
gardidien is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
2ToneR/T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 364
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
I purchased Infinity Kappa 693.9i's which are 6x9's and replace the rear package shelf speakers...3 way speakers, 2 ohm....same as factory but instead of paper crap these are made pretty badass....and an aimable tweeter with a button to select higher or normal sound...and for the front doors I got Infinity Kappa 63.9i's which are 6" 3 way 2ohm speakers...fit fine into the doors but I had to cut a hole in the speaker grill for the tweeter which is also aimable...if u look in the 2nd gen show off your intrepid section under my name I have a couple pics posted after the install....the sound is WAY better than stock and I am very satisfied....
2ToneR/T is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 520
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Thanks again

Gardidien and Captainmorgan almost had me talked into the other amp, but my innate laziness will probably overcome. I'll just go with the speaker upgrade I think. Did you guys also upgrade the sail speakers? Is that possible? Do you still have the middle speaker on top of the dash?
drynoc is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 835
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                   
Quote:
Originally Posted by drynoc View Post
Gardidien and Captainmorgan almost had me talked into the other amp, but my innate laziness will probably overcome. I'll just go with the speaker upgrade I think. Did you guys also upgrade the sail speakers? Is that possible? Do you still have the middle speaker on top of the dash?
My car only had the 6 speaker system so no middle speaker. I bought a component set and put the tweeters in the sails. Others will advise against this as it brings the highs closer to your ears and can be overpowering but I haven't any problems and like the way it sounds.
gardidien is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Leave Nothing Stock
 
VAtrepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 215
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
I upgraded my speakers just like you did, and I can honestly say my tweets are WAY too loud. I've been messing with the crossovers and the deck but just when I get a good sound out of Steely Dan, I get an insane amount of treb with Snoop Dogg. I think I'm going to have to wire the trebs in the sail speakers to the deck, the amp just puts way too much power to them.

As for the center speaker, our cars have the indention in the dash for them (may or may not have the speaker slits) so there is a place for them. Some of the guys have done a great job of modifying this space for a little bit bigger speaker. It might even out the sound as it's bounced off the windshield.
VAtrepn is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
CaptainMorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio
Posts: 6,239
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtrepn View Post
I upgraded my speakers just like you did, and I can honestly say my tweets are WAY too loud. I've been messing with the crossovers and the deck but just when I get a good sound out of Steely Dan, I get an insane amount of treb with Snoop Dogg. I think I'm going to have to wire the trebs in the sail speakers to the deck, the amp just puts way too much power to them.

As for the center speaker, our cars have the indention in the dash for them (may or may not have the speaker slits) so there is a place for them. Some of the guys have done a great job of modifying this space for a little bit bigger speaker. It might even out the sound as it's bounced off the windshield.
Something is fishy with the issue on the tweeters. You should be able to EQ them appropriately for both types of music. I'm not doubting your issues, just that there isn't a tuning solution.

Having seen a lot of dashes it would be really simple to put a bigger speaker in the center. You have a good amount of space under there doing nothing. I personally leave it empty though. I'm not a fan of screwing with bouncing a center channel, on stereo recordings, off the glass. You get a phase inversion when it comes off the glass as well as weird effects from direct off axis sound waves and the glass reflected sound waves interfering (can be fine, but unpredictable), gives a third location for the same frequency range to come from, and you're using source material that doesn't actually have dedicated information for that speaker. I don't see the point.



My car won't ever be done because I'm insane. That is all.
CaptainMorgan is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oshkosh WI
Posts: 355
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
Something is fishy with the issue on the tweeters. You should be able to EQ them appropriately for both types of music. I'm not doubting your issues, just that there isn't a tuning solution.

Having seen a lot of dashes it would be really simple to put a bigger speaker in the center. You have a good amount of space under there doing nothing. I personally leave it empty though. I'm not a fan of screwing with bouncing a center channel, on stereo recordings, off the glass. You get a phase inversion when it comes off the glass as well as weird effects from direct off axis sound waves and the glass reflected sound waves interfering (can be fine, but unpredictable), gives a third location for the same frequency range to come from, and you're using source material that doesn't actually have dedicated information for that speaker. I don't see the point.
I agree completely, unless you are installing an audio / video system you intend to make use of with 5.1 output there's no dedicated center channel and even if there was it would be physically offset from your seating positions no matter how you configured it.
Crash Override is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
CaptainMorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio
Posts: 6,239
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Override View Post
I agree completely, unless you are installing an audio / video system you intend to make use of with 5.1 output there's no dedicated center channel and even if there was it would be physically offset from your seating positions no matter how you configured it.
Yep, even with a 5.1 system the center is never really centered for anyone in the car.

With all the higher end audio that I'm getting into I've figured out that to make it sound really good you can only achieve that for a single listening position.
CaptainMorgan is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 520
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Tin ear

I have a tin ear compared to you guys. I don't notice all the subtle differences, although the new front door speakers in my '00ES made an amazing difference. They are 4 ohm however, because at the time I didn't know any better. I can tell the difference now in volume control. I've decided to go with just a four speaker upgrade and leave the sails and the middle speaker alone.
drynoc is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
CaptainMorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio
Posts: 6,239
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by drynoc View Post
I have a tin ear compared to you guys. I don't notice all the subtle differences, although the new front door speakers in my '00ES made an amazing difference. They are 4 ohm however, because at the time I didn't know any better. I can tell the difference now in volume control. I've decided to go with just a four speaker upgrade and leave the sails and the middle speaker alone.
If you're still going off the factory amp I would recommend replacing the sail speakers too. The key is that they aren't tweeters, they're 2.5" full range. You can fit a 3" in there with a little work. That would get you a lot more out of the factory system.

I'd also say just leave the rears. The factory ones will be fine for rear fill, so save your money there.
CaptainMorgan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome