DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Outer tie rod end - left or right?

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  solomd 
#1 ·
Hi!

I am about to order online that part and save some bucks and not to go to dealership but online there is no 'right' or 'left' outer tie rod end. Does it matter which side I want to get or not?

Thanks!

mIRO

#4 ·
each one was $30cdn and i did it myself in about 1 1/2hrs for both sides
but you should have an alignment done afterwards if you do it yourself but i didn't, i lined it up pretty good so it's ok.
but if it pulls one way or another after you do it (if you do it yourself) then it needs an alignment or you can try adjusting it yourself by turning the tie rod in or out depending on which way it is pulling.
it's not to hard to do yourself but i needed to heat up the drivers side one to get it free

#8 ·
When you do them , count the number of turns it takes to take the old ones out . Then when you put the new ones in turn them in the same count and you should be pretty close .

#10 ·
kyle712 said:
btw a garage probably would charge 1 hour labour each side and do an alignment which around my area is $150cdn
Nothing wrong with a four wheel alignment but there is a difference between a four wheel alignment and a four wheel reference. If they adjust the rears then that a 4 wheel alignment and they are typically less than $100 CDN. Using the rear for reference to should be less than $60 CDN and that's really all that's required after changing tie rods.

#11 ·
ottowrkr said:
When you do them , count the number of turns it takes to take the old ones out . Then when you put the new ones in turn them in the same count and you should be pretty close .
This is great advice and I do it often, count the turns. But for the first time this method left me with over an 1" of toe. I replace my LHS outers with cheap greaseable white box specials and the number of threads greatly differred from the originals.
BTW that was 4 years and 40,000kms ago and I think I can hear them going sloppy again. I'll be buying OEM or name brand replacements this time.

#12 ·
i got mine at autozone for like $15-20 a piece. my dad and i did all the labor. my dad took a hack saw and made a small, light groove on the old tie rod end right were it came together with the inner tie rod end. then he counted the number of threads between the end up the outer tie rod and the mark he made. then he counted the same number of threads on the new tie rod end and made a mark with the saw on it. so then when we put the new ones on, we knew exactly how far to turn them in. it ended up turning out very good, my car has little to no pull at all.

#14 ·
i'm glad to help. everyone in these forums have been so nice & helpful to me, so i want to do the same if i can

#15 ·
If you do the outer tie rod ends, it is also a good time to just be done with it and do the inner bushings too. They are cheap and easy to do. Then go and get a good alignment done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.