Hard shift into overdrive - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 102
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                   
Hard shift into 4th UPDATE 6/12

A couple days ago my M started acting funny when shifting into overdrive. When it gets to the shift point to go into 4th, the RPMs jump by probably 100 and it jerks a bit as it shifts, and then the RPMs go back to normal. I've only put about 200 miles on this car since I've owned it (about a month), and it did not do this until the last 100 miles or so (I've driven it about 150 this week as its my DD now).. The only background I have on the car is the paperwork for when a rebuilt trans was installed at 120k in 2010, and a valve body replacement at 142k in 2011 (car has 165k on it now)..

I tried searching, but I couldn't find a problem similar to the one I was having so I figured I'd ask. Thanks!!

Last edited by 88red4cyl; 06-12-2012 at 09:31 PM.
88red4cyl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 11:44 PM
get off my lawn


 
DrDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Smyrna , Tn
Posts: 15,441
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                     
ok,, overdrive is really the torque converter going into lock up, hows the fluid look?
DrDodge is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 102
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                   
it may be the 3 to 4 shift then. My autostick doesn't work, so I just assumed it was the shift into overdrive. It occurs between 40 to 55 depending on how hard you accelerate... what color is the tranny fluid supposed to be in chryslers?
88red4cyl is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Adpros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Saint Louis Co
Posts: 1,757
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDodge View Post
ok,, overdrive is really the torque converter going into lock up, hows the fluid look?
Well, not really but, for all goods and purposes the average driver will have a difficult time feeling the shift to OD and the EMCC after that.

I ain't pickin' I'm just reading and posting. Oh, and drinkin' too!
Adpros is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Adpros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Saint Louis Co
Posts: 1,757
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88red4cyl View Post
it may be the 3 to 4 shift then. My autostick doesn't work, so I just assumed it was the shift into overdrive. It occurs between 40 to 55 depending on how hard you accelerate... what color is the tranny fluid supposed to be in chryslers?
Most often, the color in a good reliable trans will be anywhere from a dark red to a bright pink. Fluid color has been a subject of much criticism from the manufacturer. Chrysler claims the color of the fluid has no effect on the performance of the transmission. Most techs will offer the opinion of any brown fluid or darker has run it's life span and needs to be replaced.

The 40 - 55 bump is likely the converter clutch as Dr Dodge mentioned. If your converter is not a stock or oem one, you might experience rougher than normal converter clutch engagement. The only thing to do at this point is drive it unless the warranty transfers between owners.
Adpros is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 102
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                   
It's definitely the 3-4 shift.. I confirmed it by bumping it into Autostick to see what gear was selected after every shift.. I got it good and warm and checked the fluid, and it was inside the COLD hash marks... I am buying some fluid in the morning to fill it up, but could this be causing my problem.. Fluid was light pink colored btw...
88red4cyl is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 102
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                   
I filled the fluid up tonight and took it for a drive. The shifts feel smoother except for the 3-4 shift. It feels slightly better, but the Rpms are still jumping up as it shifts and then dropping as it hits the gear. Its almost like 4th isn't engaging quickly enough. What should I start investigating from here?
88red4cyl is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Adpros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Saint Louis Co
Posts: 1,757
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
Perhaps since this is a rather new, (To you), vehicle, the fluid itself may be all it is. There is another Transmission thread floating around recently about the pitfalls of any fluid other than ATF+4 for the Chrysler 42LE transmission.

Myself, I would probably hire the services of a tech with the machine to flush the system and replace the fluid with genuine ATF+4. Then drive it and see how it does.

The only other option I could venture would be to have the trans controller scanned for faults and CVI values. CVI refers to the amount of time the trans takes to completely fill each piston area for a given operation or shift. The clutch volume index is helpful to properly diagnosing a transmission concern.
Adpros is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 102
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adpros View Post
Perhaps since this is a rather new, (To you), vehicle, the fluid itself may be all it is. There is another Transmission thread floating around recently about the pitfalls of any fluid other than ATF+4 for the Chrysler 42LE transmission.

Myself, I would probably hire the services of a tech with the machine to flush the system and replace the fluid with genuine ATF+4. Then drive it and see how it does.

The only other option I could venture would be to have the trans controller scanned for faults and CVI values. CVI refers to the amount of time the trans takes to completely fill each piston area for a given operation or shift. The clutch volume index is helpful to properly diagnosing a transmission concern.
It should have the mopar atf+4 in it. When the valve body was replaced last year at 142k it was at a Chrysler dealer. Would the dealer have to scan for the faults?
88red4cyl is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Intrepid Fan
 
krazybob738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 222
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
sorry this has nothing to do with you problem but i love the fiero i used to have 3 of them love those cars as far as your problem have you unpluged the battery (or lost all power and needed to recharge it) lately if so the comp will take some time to relearn the shifts for the way you drive
krazybob738 is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 102
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                   
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazybob738 View Post
sorry this has nothing to do with you problem but i love the fiero i used to have 3 of them love those cars as far as your problem have you unpluged the battery (or lost all power and needed to recharge it) lately if so the comp will take some time to relearn the shifts for the way you drive
Thanks! I am quite fond of the Fiero too... I DD'd mine up until I got married in 07.. now its more.of a project car since its been sitting so long.

I haven't lost power since ive had it. Maybe I should unhooked the battery?
88red4cyl is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Adpros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Saint Louis Co
Posts: 1,757
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
I don't know if the aftermarket scanners can do CVI. I do know they can do nearly all the driveability and DTC functions adequately. CVI may be a DRBIII exclusive. So, if you have no shops or friends that own a DRBIII then I suppose it's off to the dealer.

It was also brought up in the other thread that some dealers were not using ATF+4. So, there is still the possibility of having a lesser fluid installed. Any receipts that will support what they used will help.
Adpros is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 102
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                   
I don't have the actual receipts for the dealer work. It showed up on the carfax. I do have the receipt for when the remand Chrysler transmission was installed at a local shop but it doesn't say what fluid was used then. I guess its a possibility that the dealer reused the trans fluid that was in it, which could have been the wrong one.. will the wrong fluid damage it, or just make it shift bad?
88red4cyl is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Adpros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Saint Louis Co
Posts: 1,757
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88red4cyl View Post
I don't have the actual receipts for the dealer work. It showed up on the carfax. I do have the receipt for when the remand Chrysler transmission was installed at a local shop but it doesn't say what fluid was used then. I guess its a possibility that the dealer reused the trans fluid that was in it, which could have been the wrong one.. will the wrong fluid damage it, or just make it shift bad?
The wrong fluid can have both effects. I'm having a hard time following the previous statement. Did they have the trans replaced at the dealer or was it a trans shop that used a Mopar reman transmission?
Adpros is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 102
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adpros View Post
The wrong fluid can have both effects. I'm having a hard time following the previous statement. Did they have the trans replaced at the dealer or was it a trans shop that used a Mopar reman transmission?
Sorry, I'm using my wife's Kindle and its hard to type on. The trans was replaced with a mopar reman at a local shop in 2010. In 2011, the valve body was replaced under warranty at a Chrysler dealer about 90 miles from here.
88red4cyl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome