Flaky clear coat on stock rims... [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Flaky clear coat on stock rims...

Intrepid_Revealer
01-15-2008, 01:14 AM
Are there any tips or tricks of the trade for removing the old clear coat from my rims? After that, what might be the best way to go about painting aluminum rims?

~R

otpw1
01-15-2008, 02:28 AM
Bead blasting and clear powder coating proffesionally done...and then I woke up.
I scuff them with a scotchbrite pad, and spray them body color. They just barely fit in my oven......

RCE2WIN
01-15-2008, 09:34 AM
A friend of mine used aircraft stripper to remove all the clearcoat, then prepped them and shot them body color. If you're going to do it, you might as well get it right the first time.

Intrepid_Revealer
01-15-2008, 11:15 PM
any special primers for aluminum? What I plan on doing, instead of buying new rims is a two-tone paint job. I'll do the whole rims in silver or chrome spray. With a small brush or marker, I'll cover the inner sections in black. I think that from a distance, all a person would notice is the silver part, looking like aftermarket rims.

RCE2WIN
01-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Whatever you do, don't use the spray-chrome. A nice silver/gun metal would look much nicer. Duplicolor has wheel specific paints, check out their site for instructions and priming suggestions.

NHogan
01-16-2008, 03:59 PM
I need to clean up my rims also. A local detailing shop told me 100.00 and they will do all 4 rims and have them looking like new. lol thinking about trying it out