Hazard Lights!!!!!!! [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Hazard Lights!!!!!!!

mattimeo_boyd
01-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I have a 1994 3.5L es
Ok so when I was driving on the freeway my hazard lights came on all of the sudden so I tried to push the button in and it won't stick so the only way to keep them off is to tape it down.

Anyone got ideas on how to fix this??

FeMaster
01-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Probably will require replacement of the multi-function switch in the steering column.

Hazards, turn signals, and the high/low bean switch are incorporated into an all-in-one unit. These can be found in just about any parts store, the dealer, bone yard, or a number of other members on the forum either have extras, or can get one for you from the bone yard.

NHogan
01-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Yup replace multi function switch, if somehow it goes off again and you dont have the anything to keep it down you could pull a fuse.

CluelessinMO
01-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Duct tape

otpw1
01-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Mine did it too... I replaced the multifunction switch with one from a column I bought to get a clockspring.

lightemup
01-25-2008, 03:10 AM
EASY FIX: Mechanical pencil eraser!!!

Background: I have three 97s, and two of them started having the hazards-on-anytime-they-want issue about the same time. Both of these cars have already had the multifunction switches replaced at least once within the last 2-3 years, and I wasn't in a hurry to buy more of them at $75-$95 each, especially when they didn't seem to have any real electrical issues.

This started happening at the tail end of the summer, and even taping the stupid buttons didn't work more than a day or two; heat would soften the tape (electrical, duct, you name it) just enough to allow the switch to pop up. My kid ended up with a complete Rube Goldberg thing consisting of several layers of duct tape, a case full of CDs, and an actual duct tape roll used as the "jammer" to keep it all in place. Of course you damn near had to use mirrors to read half the gauges and such, but at least the hazard lights stayed off.

Then one day I was driving the other car with the problem, and the button just would not stay down no matter what I did. As I was getting desperate, I looked down and happened to see the eraser end of a mechanical pencil in my pocket. Looked at the opening that the hazard switch sticks through...hmmmm, about right.... pulled the eraser out of the pencil and jammed it in the corner of the hole. Switch has never popped up since!

It does stick up enough that I can pull it out if need be; it apparently works because it's about the right size, is somewhat soft because it's rubber, and creates enough friction between the switch and the opening that the switch just doesn't move. After a fashion (my kid was skeptical at first) I applied the same fix to the kid's car, and he now has a complete view of his dashboard -- and no unwanted hazard lights!

This is just the little white eraser off a cheap mechanical pencil (multi-pack of like 10 pencils for a couple of bucks). Rose Art is my favorite brand; the erasers actually erase pencil marks, whereas a lot of other cheapies just smear. And I can definitely vouch for RA erasers being compatible with the hazard switch button. Plus it's an almost invisible fix, and much more attractive than gobs of tape or other smash-it-down items.

otpw1
02-10-2008, 12:22 AM
You rock!
I've got trash like this in my car I can use. You are absolutely correct. This works!