Questions! 1996 Intrepid 3.3l [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Questions! 1996 Intrepid 3.3l

Intrepid_Crazy
03-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Ok, so I replaced my output sensor, car is running fine, no limp mode but speedo still not working. Also, the Daytime running lights will not go off unless I disconnect the battery. The car had an aftermarket remote starter at one point and it looks like it's been disconnected as well. If you guys can give me any help at all I'd appreciate it(ie: things to look for, similar problems, other symptoms, etc...). Thanks!

Intrepid_Crazy
03-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Would a bad alternator cause this? I changed alternators recently, never noticed this before.

Vampiricos
03-05-2008, 08:49 PM
the alternator wouldn't cause the running lights to stay on constantly. the alternator would only cause the car to not charge the battery properly. It sounds like a bad switch or relay in the electrical system that is causing the car to not shut off the lights.

Strongt
03-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I'd just pull the DRL Relay and see if that will fix your light problems. If the lights go out, just make sure the normal headlights still work after your pull the relay.

As for the Speedo, have you tryed also replaceing the Input Sensor ?

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Input Sensor

See Figure 4

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/medium/0900823d801824e2.gif
Fig. 4: Exploded view of the vehicle speed sensors located on the side of the transaxles

When the vehicle speed sensor is removed for any reason, a new O-ring must be installed on its outside diameter. The input and output speed sensors are NOT interchangeable.

The input speed sensor is located on the left side of the transaxle case.

Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely on jackstands.

Unplug the harness connector from the sensor. Make sure that the weatherseal stays on the harness connector.

Unscrew the sensor from the transaxle.

Place a pan under the sensor to catch any transaxle fluid which may leak out of the sensor mounting hole (not much, if any, will leak out unless the vehicle is now moved).

Carefully pull the sensor out of the transaxle case.

To install:

Install a new O-ring to the sensor.

Carefully thread the sensor back into the transaxle housing.

Tighten the sensor to 180-300 inch lbs. (20-34 Nm).

Plug the sensor connector back into the wiring harness.

Lower the vehicle.

Output Sensor

When the vehicle speed sensor is removed for any reason, a new O-ring must be installed on its outside diameter. The input and output speed sensors are NOT interchangeable.

The output speed sensor is located on the left side of the transaxle case.

Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely on jackstands.

Unplug the harness connector from the sensor. Make sure that the weatherseal stays on the harness connector.

Unscrew the sensor from the transaxle.

Place a pan under the sensor to catch any transaxle fluid which may leak out of the sensor mounting hole (not much, if any, will leak out unless the vehicle is now moved).

Carefully pull the sensor out of the transaxle case.

To install:

Install a new O-ring to the sensor.

Carefully thread the sensor back into the transaxle housing.

Tighten the sensor to 180-300 inch lbs. (20-34 Nm).

Plug the sensor connector back into the wiring harness.

Lower the vehicle.

Intrepid_Crazy
03-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Ok, thanks! Has anyone else had any experience with this? Cost of a new switch/relay?

Intrepid_Crazy
03-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Where is the DRL relay located?

Strongt
03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I should be located in the black relay box by the batt. Look under the lid to see which relay it is. There should be a label under the lid.

Strongt
03-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Sorry, I just looked, its a fuse called DRL that you should pull, not a relay inside the black relay box.

Strongt
03-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Here's a post about the DRL problem:

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65678&highlight=Daytime+Running+Lights

Intrepid_Crazy
03-06-2008, 06:03 AM
Thank you, appreciate the help! I'll post my findings.

Intrepid_Crazy
03-06-2008, 07:03 AM
I removed the DRL fuse AND the Headlight fuse.......lights still on!!! How is that possible?

Intrepid_Crazy
03-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Another one for ya.

My alternator is crapping out, which means the car is running on the battery only, when the battery starts to die would it cause the car to sound like its missing when revved? Also, when I drove the car before I bought it the alternator was fine and the speedo worked, after the alternator failed is when I really noticed the speedo not working. Could this be a cause as well?

Intrepid_Crazy
03-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Ok, alternator rebuilt. Guy who did it said the diodes were all burnt. Not Good. Anyway, put the alternator on, took it out for a couple drives. Let it sit for an hour, drove it to work fine, sat at work for 4 hours then I brought it into the garage, still fine. Drive it home an hour later and the battery starts to die on the way home, car shuts off 10 feet from my house. Now, could that be caused by my terminals not being tight? I sort of just put them on the battery and didn't snug them down.

G-Wali96
03-14-2008, 12:06 PM
I have thought I had a few problems with my alternator but, for me it seemed to be that the serpent belt was loose and not actually spinning the alternator under high loads. Lights heater, and defroster. Take the alternator to a advanced auto parts takes like 5 secs to test.