97 Intrepid 3.5 Airbag control module? [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: 97 Intrepid 3.5 Airbag control module?

Tranquility
03-16-2008, 12:09 AM
First the stupid background.:redface: The air coming out of the air vents was smelling funky, so I decided to try and flush them out by using a hose into the passenger side vent. Guess I used too much water as water eventually streamed down the center of the console.:redface::redface: Now the airbag light on the dash stay illuminated after it completes the self diagnostics. I suspect I fried the Airbag Control Module located somewhere in the center of the dash and was hoping someone could provide some specific instructions on how to access it for replacement.

FYI: I plan on picking up the replacement from the junkyard and know that the battery needs to be disconnected for >2 minutes before working on the system to insure the capacitor has dissapated. I plan on grounding both battery cables together before beginning. Any help in finding this part will be appreciated. Thanks.

Veeb0rg
03-16-2008, 12:34 AM
remove the centerconsole and the module is held down by 4 10mm bolts. *if memory serves*

Strongt
03-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Here's some info too:

Air Bag Control Module (ACM)

The Air Bag Control Module (ACM) is one of the most visible part of the system. It contains the air bag safing sensor and energy reserve capacitor. The ACM is mounted on the tunnel floor pan forward of the center console. The safing sensor is located inside the ACM. The safing sensor provides confirmation of a crash, but does not determine the severity. The ACM monitors the system to determine the system readiness. The ACM will store a sufficient energy to deploy the airbags for only two minutes after the battery has been disconnected. The ACM contains on-board diagnostics, and will illuminate the AIRBAG warning lamp on the dash when a fault has occurred. The warning equipment is tested for a few seconds every time the vehicle is started.

DISARMING THE SYSTEM

Disconnect the negative battery cable and isolate the cable using an appropriate insulator (wrap with quality electrical tape).

Allow the system capacitor to discharge for 2 minutes before starting any repair on any air bag system or related components. This will disable the air bag system.

Tranquility
03-16-2008, 08:27 AM
:biggrin:Not quite sure where to dissassemble. The center console on the floorboard with the shifter or the center console of the dash with the radio and climate controls. It sounds like the part is readily visible once things are removed, but I want to minimize dissassembly. Thanks for the replies.:biggrin:

stroise
03-16-2008, 10:25 AM
usually with a funky smell from the vents i would of used like a arosal spray can of your fav scent and sprayed it near the vents with unit on.

Veeb0rg
03-16-2008, 04:44 PM
the center console is the part between the seats with the shifter. The area with the radio is just the center of the dash

Strongt
03-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Here's how to get that center console out:

Front Center Console

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/jpg/small/0900823d80185b09.jpg
Fig. 1: Center console bezel

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/jpg/small/0900823d80185b0a.jpg
Fig. 2: Center console

Remove the center console bezel.

Remove the screw holding the forward crossmember to the floor mounting bracket.

Remove the screws holding the bottom of the glove compartment to the rear mounting bracket.

Remove the center console from the vehicle.

To install:

Position the center console in the vehicle.

Install the screws holding the bottom of the glove compartment to the rear mounting bracket.

Install the screw holding the forward crossmember to the floor mounting bracket.

Install the center console bezel.

nerd
03-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Here's how to get that center console out:

Front Center Console

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/jpg/small/0900823d80185b09.jpg
Fig. 1: Center console bezel

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/jpg/small/0900823d80185b0a.jpg
Fig. 2: Center console

Remove the center console bezel.

Remove the screw holding the forward crossmember to the floor mounting bracket.

Remove the screws holding the bottom of the glove compartment to the rear mounting bracket.

Remove the center console from the vehicle.

To install:

Position the center console in the vehicle.

Install the screws holding the bottom of the glove compartment to the rear mounting bracket.

Install the screw holding the forward crossmember to the floor mounting bracket.

Install the center console bezel.

wait wait.. the acm isn't even accessible through the centre console. it's under the dash, right side of the deck and climate controls. you have to remove the centre console surrounding the shifter, the kick panels, air vents, and the bottom of the dash...

Strongt
03-16-2008, 06:53 PM
It's not the box that bolted to the floor, in front of the center console? If it's that box, then it's easy to get too with the console out of the way.

nerd
03-16-2008, 07:24 PM
It's not the box that bolted to the floor, in front of the center console? If it's that box, then it's easy to get too with the console out of the way.

It's under the dash, to the left of the glovebox. It's covered with yellow caution connectors. That's how it's marked so you don't accidentally disconnect one of them and get an airbag in your face.

I've had my bottom dash out 4 times in 1 year. I'm familiar with what not to touch. ;)

Veeb0rg
03-16-2008, 11:35 PM
well thats odd, cuz i took mine out to run wires under it with just the center console out.

its a tad bit tight, but can be gotten with little trouble.

nerd
03-16-2008, 11:43 PM
well thats odd, cuz i took mine out to run wires under it with just the center console out.

its a tad bit tight, but can be gotten with little trouble.

maybe you have small hands. ;)

Veeb0rg
03-17-2008, 12:04 AM
maybe you have small hands. ;)

or maybe yours are GIANT :smilie_sc