DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Stereo Issue

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  etfuller 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I finally got around to taking my good front and back speakers out of my (dead) black Intrepid and I put them into my Silver/Tan one. With them speakers and my Pioneer head unit in the black car, it pounded almost like I had a sub. Now with the same exact setup in my silver Intrepid, i have almost no bass from any of the speakers. If I change the fade and balance all to one back 6X9, I get tons of bass, but when I put it all back to normal, ive got nothin. Is it possible that my Pioneer is takin a **** and not powering like it used to? Thats all I could think of because its the EXACT same equipment and setup as in the other car and was super loud. Any ideas? :banghead:

#3 · (Edited)
veeborg might be right on that. check to see if u had infinity system. also make sure your speaker wires are connected + with + and - with - if reversed the bass would sound like crap. I dont think the head unit is dieing on ya.

also when you took the radio out of the old car. check for a setting on the pioneer called loudness. I have a pioneer deh-p3700mp and there should be a loudness button. bass should be like 3 or 4. high should be all the way up and mid should be 3. this is my setting. when u take the radio from 1 car to the next the memory and settings are gone. i can almost bet its the loudness button. when u find it make sure the vol is low cause it will kick in and be very loud. Keep the setting on loudness to on. good luck and let us know. if i find the manual for the pioneer i will write back to let u know what button it is. have a good day

if u want give me your model # and i will look it up. if u cant find it. www.pioneerusa.com then under support and put in your model #

#4 ·
The car never had the infinity system in it and the LOUD setting is on. Its really wierd because the HU is only about a year and a half old but I do have it cranked for long periods of time. Tomorrow Im going to swap HU's with my freind who's got a Pioneer, and if it pounds the speakers, then I know its my Head Unit. Well look at the good side, if the HU is bad, then It gives me a reason to buy a new one haha.

BTW- Its a Poineer DEH-2800MP

Thanks for the help guys

#5 ·
Sounds like a polarity issue, most likely. You can check polarity with a drill battery. As far as the wires are concerned, I'm sure there is a wiring diagram somewhere for your car. If one speaker has the wrong +/-, it could sound horrible.

#6 ·
Thats what I thought too, but i made sure the positive and negatives are hooked up correctly, cause I have hooked them up backwords before and your right, it does sound like crap.

#7 ·
get one with aux in the front for a connection with a ipod. i did that mistake of missing out on that option. let me see that model for ya

it says to press audio then the up arrow to go to loudness and turn it on. loud indicator should show up on the display. make sure loudness shows up. if its not there now this is your prob. must go into settings.
http://www.pioneerusa.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/280476408DEH2800MPOperationManual.pdf

cut and paste site for help if needed. then look on page 12 bottom right then again on page 13 to continue on turning loudness on. Nice radio by the way. i dont think it took a **** on ya yet. its a good radio.

#9 ·
Yup the loudness is definently on HIGH. On mine I have to press the EQ button untill I get to loud then press up to put it on LOW then press right to get it on HIGH. Its just weird cause if I channel all the power to the left rear speaker (or the right, dosnt matter), it POUNDS like hell, but put it back to both rears, nothin. Like I said my buddy has a really nice Pioneer (its a DEH-5???-MP) and were gunna hook that up tomorrow and see what happens.

Again I appreciate the help and the fast responses.

#10 ·
Too bad they don't still make the DEH-P860MP. 6.5V outputs, and a ton of other stuff. I have one in my Mazda. A little pricy, but I think it's worth it. The only thing I've ever had from Pioneer that I've been happy with.

#12 ·
Yea im confused too, I mean, Im all into stereos and speakers and subs and all that and ive never been clueless like this before. But yea ill let you know how it goes tomorrow.

#13 ·
one more question. do u have more speakers added to the system. i dont mean through the rear of the head unit. i mean like extra wires off the rear speakers. like for a kicker or anything. I did that to mine. i added a kicker without a amp. i like made a y connection from the rear 6 by 9 s. adding more speakers lowers the resistance to the speakers back there. this is just a question. hope all goes well. take care for now

#14 ·
Nope, just the 5 1/4's up front and 6X9's in the rear. Them same exact speakers and headunit sounded great in my other Intrepid so im not to sure what to think.

#15 ·
please feel free to let me know if im in the wrong "room" here.. but im have a problem w/ my factory radio in my 2000 intrepid. okay.. my radio does this funny on and off again thing like its trying to reset. and my factory disc changer spits the 1st disc out. ive done fuse checks, wire pathing (finding wires), reinstalling the radio, even as far as putting in an after market. and it still is have this problem with the on/off again thing. if more detail is needed please let me know ill give what i can.. but i guess thats the basics for now! HEEEEEEELP PLEEEEEASE! thanks in advance! -00Intrepidon20's

#16 ·
not in the wrong room, but creating your own thread in the audio section would get you greater attention and you wouldnt be hijacking someones thread.

i think you have a ground problem somewhere. or possibly some wires touching somewhere. my factory and aftermarket headunit did the same in my headunit when i first got my 2000 trep and it was a bad post on the battery and a shiz load of corrosion. it ultimately lead to the car not even starting or starting and cutting off. my battery terminals need to be changed as well now.

edit: yea you are in the wrong forum. you have a second gen. lol

#17 ·
Well I figured out (i think) that its the cheap ass walmart wire harness thats causing my problem. So im going to go to the car stereo place in town and get a nice harness and hopefully that will work, ill let you know.

#19 ·
Well i finally got up to that stereo place in town and they looked at my problem and first the guy tried telling me that it might have the Infinity system in it and thats whats causing my problem but I know it dosnt so that was ruled out. The next thing he said is that there is some kind of bass filter along the lines somewhere blocking my bass and that i should re-wire it all if I want the bass to come back. Ive never seen anything on this site about any type of filter in the system. Does that sound like a possibility?

#20 · (Edited)
bass blockers is a capacitor inline with the speaker on the + side. They dont come stock with the car. Only a stereo installer or person who knows about stereos would install them. if your putting the sound to 1 speaker and your getting bass, then i dont think there is a bass blocker installed. When u put the rear speakers together or the setting to 0 on the fade and then bass dissapears then maybe your trunks acoustic sucks. whats in your trunk. if there is space taken up like tools and stuff it might affect it.i would try that metro insulation stuff for on the top part of the trunk lid. check weather stripping. im just throwing a crap shoot here of what could effect the sound quality in the trunk.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Prod...15410415&search=insulation&tp=2277&tab=review

#22 ·
i would say its power related. may sound crazy but check the connections at the battery and the wires from alt to battery as well as grounds. somewhere the voltage has to be "limited"

#24 ·
wait i think i figured it out. u said when u have all speakers are on u dont get that much bass from the rear and when u put all the power to the rear speakers they kick ass. this is normal because all the power in the unit is being distrubuted throughout all 4 speakers. if u move the fade to the fronts the backs will get lower power. try this. put the fade on more for the rear but enough to hear the fronts. then crank it. let us know how it kicks. i prey this works for ya

#25 ·
Its true, i was just playin around in my car today adn was adjusting the fade and noticed it, man, just turn ur fade like a quarter to half way between the back and the front. its all in driver preference truthfully, thats how i like it and the rear kicks and the front is just enough to hear the music. just play around wiht the fade till you get it right, adn set the left to right button to the middle.

#26 ·
haha yea I think this thread is killin a lot of people that cant understand neither. Anyway, If I crank all the power to both back speakers I still get nothing and it sounds terrible, but crank it all to one side and it kicks awesome. I think tomorrow im going to try and run my own wire from the HU directly to the speaker and see what happens, if it pounds then I know that somethin along the stock wire isn't right. Ill keep you guys informed. Like I said, appreciate the help and suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.