AC gone air smells like band aids [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: AC gone air smells like band aids

herofish
09-30-2002, 06:02 PM
Have an issue with air conditioning on a 99 intrepid. I noticed a slight sound coming out of the vents a month ago. Then the air was getting warmer and started smelling like band aids. No joking here it really does smell like band aids. The AC no longer blows cold and the smell happens even if the AC is not engaged. Really confused and just wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on this. thanks for the time

lancefan_001
09-30-2002, 06:56 PM
my cat came up missing, could you check please?

crombie
10-01-2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by herofish
Have an issue with air conditioning on a 99 intrepid. I noticed a slight sound coming out of the vents a month ago. Then the air was getting warmer and started smelling like band aids. No joking here it really does smell like band aids. The AC no longer blows cold and the smell happens even if the AC is not engaged. Really confused and just wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on this. thanks for the time
Don't feel bad Herofish.... Mine smells the same way... Never really investigated the smell. I kinda got used to it (Not sure if that's a good thing). Has for the not blowing cold air problem. Ummmm..... could be the condenser? Might need to be serviced.

Frank
10-01-2002, 09:10 AM
Had a similar problem when car was still under warranty. The variable air damper went bad and was on full heat all the time. Dealer fixed it for free in under 2 hours.

kylector
10-01-2002, 04:31 PM
hmmm, what do you mean by variable air damper? Cause just this past weekend my friend was playing with my hot/cold ac on/off and eventually the system got confused to the point where it stayed on hot air all the time. If I turned the knob to cold, even after turning the fan off and on, it wouldn't move. I ended up turning the car off, waiting for 20 seconds, and turning it back on and now it switches from hot to cold as normal.

Perhaps we're talking about the same mechanism? Except yours maybe went bad while my computer just got confused as to its position?

<rant>Never let your friends touch your car, that's 4 times now (at least) that my friends have or have nearly broken something on my car... ;)</rant>

Franquito
10-02-2002, 11:47 AM
Well, i've had my share of problems with the a/c system. This is my story and I'm sticking to it!

First my ac compressor went bad, wich i bought a new one out of a junkyard. Well the guy that replaced it for me was not smart enough to evacuate all the freon from the system including and specially the condenser. What happened was that i was hearing a loud hissing noisecoming thru the vents and the smell was awful. I went to another place to have it looked at and the guy told me that all the freon had scaped from the condenser and coming thru the vents inside the car. Also either a valve or a little gasket from the condenser has broke.

Ayways I hope this helps out with your problem...:baaa:

crash459
10-02-2002, 12:04 PM
I once had a 2000 trep se before I moved up to my 2002 es. I found that squirrels decided to make a little nest in my engine compartment. The nuts messed everything up including my A/C. Check for some dead squirrels, or maybe even little hair pieces..

Maverick9110E
10-02-2002, 05:06 PM
well when you die soon of inhailing toxins for to long....can i have your car?