DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Dreaded Transmission Woes.

928 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Chewievette 
#1 ·
yup I am pretty sure I am looking at a complete failure.

the story is. I am getting on I88 heading home from aurora, IL and so I decide to get on it and get infront of traffic. Well goes through first no problem, shifts second and go through it, let off and goes into third, stutter and rev. Lost 3rd so i just lay off the gas hoping for 4th and nothing still just reving. I coast for a while till the check engine light comes on and I am in limp-in mode. so I have second and I get it back home. I get home and read the codes.

P0700 TCM MIL on Code in TCM
P0733 incorrect 3rd gear ratio
P0734 incorrect 4th gear ratio

so I clear the codes and take it for a spin still the same result. well I wait until morning and do it once again and still the same result. so obviously I have a major problem. After researching the issue the last 2 days I am pretty sure it is toast. I am the 4th owner of this car so the service history is pretty unknown. I know it had a trans leak that I fixed (leaking cooler lines) and I know the guy before me was not using Chrysler specific fluid. In fact he gave me a box full of crap and there was Napa brand Dexron III/Mercon and I knew I was going to have issues.

So I am sure it is toast. If anybody has any idea on any other things I may try please feel free to tell me but as it stands now I am looking for a nice used 2nd gen trans.

See less See more
#4 ·
I may not practice everyday but I am an ASE certified mechanic. So doing this is not big deal for me. just I saw that chewievette listed a place in his rebuild thread but when i went to look for them they had nothing for this transmission. So I applied for an account at transtar where I use to get my kits from but they have not finished it yet. so I want to get going on this.

I plan on buying a used 2nd gen trans and then just throwing new clutches in it and installing it. If I buy a low mileage trans I will not worry about the bushing just clutches, steels, and seals.

#7 ·
The guts will change from gen 2 case to a gen 1 case... The gen 2 has a much stronger drum set up. Chewie's thread is the thread to go on, and you'll do fine I'm sure if you've turned a wrench before (and you have I see). Re-use your case, throw the gen 2 guts in it, and if you get a tranny from a 2.7, you get a lower set of gears in the diff if you want that sort of thing.

#9 ·
the only problem I have with re-using the case is the bushings. I am not planning on replacing them nor do I want to buy 200 bucks worth of tools to do it. I guess I could take it to a shop and maybe they will do it but other wise if i get a low mileage 2nd gen then I wont necessarily have to replace the bushings. Infact I found 2 2nd gen transmissions with only 1000 miles on them both for less than 200 bucks. I think it is a typo though.

but thanks I will PM Chewie.

#10 ·
Gez, if you were closer I'd hook you up with my guy ...moderate miles 2.7L trans $75.

btw if you havnt already.. Read through my rebuild thread, last link in my sig, basically step by step rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.