Tranny swap? [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Tranny swap?

red rash
06-28-2001, 03:56 PM
I have a 94 es with the standard tranny. Does anyone think its possible to swap in the autostick transmission when mine ultimatly fails. I'm sure i would need the control box and some other wiring for it. I know of a burned up Intrepid in the bone yard with one. A casualty of fuel rail fire. I'm sure i would need the trim pieces and whatnot but i think i can be done.

rarewolf
06-28-2001, 08:21 PM
You would also need the TB and ECM from the autostick trep, because they are different. Not sure about if the linkage would transfer over between the two... but it should be ok.

-R

NCBrit
06-29-2001, 08:10 AM
I think the autostick cars had a different transmission fluid cooler, you might want to check.

In theory the transmissions are the same, just a different control module.

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: NCBrit ]

ottowrkr
06-29-2001, 03:54 PM
Any LH car can have autostick , There is no difference in the trans between an autostick and non autostick one, they are all electronically controlled . To do the swap all you need to do is change the trans controller, center console shifter box , body controller , and gauges on the instrument panel ( so the 1234NRP show up) from a donor car that had Autostick. Then you have four wires to hook up from the shift lever side to side sensors( this is called a Hall Effect Sensor) on the shift lever , one to battery , one to ground , then two wires go to the trans controller , one for up-shift and one for down-shift. Thats it .Good luck

Djnrg
07-01-2001, 09:01 AM
Even if it will be a pain in the a**, I say go ahead and do it man! I couldn't imagine my 'trep without the autostick. I love it! I can blow by cars on the highway, or on normal roads very quickly. I love the control you get in winter with it, and when you downshift around corners, and then rocket up hills.

1mz-fe
07-13-2001, 11:55 PM
anybody torn up a transmission yet shifting down from like 3rd to 2nd a little too soon? i always hesitate to drop mine in to 2nd

jnutz
07-14-2001, 12:57 AM
The computer won't let it stay in to low of a gear. If you try to shift to 2 to soon it will kick back into 3 once the rpms hi like 6k or so. Same as going the other way. It will still automatically shift between 6k and 6.5k rpm. However I am not sure about what happens if you have a aftermarket chip to reprogram the computer. It is still better to not shift to soon, but I have been doing 70ish and dropped into 2 to launch it. When I had my old tires I would do thaty at 20 into first and spin the tires. :D