Went to the 1/4 mile strip tonight.. [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Went to the 1/4 mile strip tonight..

Veeb0rg
08-25-2001, 05:22 AM
I ran a 18.0815 @ 76.4331 mph
my reaction time was a 1.0027 (yeah horrible i know)

my car is totally stock.. 3.3l.. i ran against a some little vtec honda (well it had vtec stickers) and he ran a 17.0993 @ 86.3391 mph with a .7988 reaction time..

not to bad for my very first time at the track.. any reccomendations to get my 1/4 mile time down?

ATFCharger
08-25-2001, 09:17 AM
After racing a Pro-Stock Cuda, I could tell ya a lot of fancy electronics would help :)

But seriously, to get that time down, you gotta work on the reaction time first. If you were a serious racer (regular) I'd recommend gettin those practice trees which help with reaction times. But for next time, hit the gas just as the last yellow light starts to die out and the green comes on. You almost want to be moving just before the green lights up. That's key.

You may wanna try LHSer's tips on shifting. (LHSer this is your territory)

Other minor things like just keeping the car as straight as possible. Try not to let it drift right or left. Straighter=shorter=less time.

Finally, keep in the gas all the way through the traps (finish line). Don't let off as you see it coming.

Not to say you aren't doin any of the above mentioned, just my input :)

Hope that helps.

TehKing
08-25-2001, 11:16 AM
Ok, I'll cover shifting and a couple other things.

Weight

1. Run with as little gas as possible and make sure it is as high octane as you can afford. 1/4 or 1/8 tank is common. I'd go with 1/4.

2. Remove your spare tire, jack and whatever crap you have in the trunk.

Launch/Shifting

As my fellow contributor mentioned, go as soon as the last yellow starts to fade. There is a possibility you'll red light, but it is very slim. Below is the method I use for launching and shifting when racing. It works rather well.

[list=1]
Shut off all electronics. (Radio, etc.)
Shut off Traction Control. (If so equipped.)
Shift into L.
Put left foot on brake.
Apply gas until about 1500-2000rpm and hold.
When yellow fades, let off brake and floor gas.
When tach sweeps to 6000-6500rpm, shift to 3, repeat to shift to D. Keep gas to floor through entire process.
[/list=a]
I hope this helps, let us know the results.

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

Veeb0rg
08-26-2001, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by LHSer:

[list=1]
Shut off all electronics. (Radio, etc.)
Shut off Traction Control. (If so equipped.)
Shift into L.
Put left foot on brake.
Apply gas until about 1500-2000rpm and hold.
When yellow fades, let off brake and floor gas.
When tach sweeps to 6000-6500rpm, shift to 3, repeat to shift to D. Keep gas to floor through entire process.
[/list=a]
I hope this helps, let us know the results.

well.. i unno how u guys get upto 6000+ rpm.. my car shifts no matter what at 5500.. guess its a 3.3l thing anyway i tried launchin like u said.. its was just my first time with a real tree on a real track.. but the guys i was with like all had 1.1 and above reactiontimes.. so i'm kewl with it.. heh i get another chance friday.. heh gotta love them test and tune nights.. and if any of your marylander's wanna come down we go to Capitol Raceway in crofton.. its 10$ a person and all the runs u can get in..

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: Veeb0rg ]

TehKing
08-26-2001, 11:09 AM
It must be a 3.3L thing. My 3.5L will shift at 6500 if I forget, or just leave it in D and floor it.

Veeb0rg
08-26-2001, 11:13 AM
i wonder if puttin the MSD ignition on it will help any.. heh i wanna get past the 5500 rpm block

matt22tec
08-26-2001, 02:21 PM
It must be a 3.3 thing I can also push it to 6500 rpm before it shifts either in drive or autostick. I doubt the ignition upgrade will help. I would think that the shift point at 5500 rpm is in you computer program. Matt 97 3.5 ES