DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

steering probs

550 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  silver97trep 
#1 ·
I have been having a number of problems with steering, particularly when cold for some of them:
1.) a knock everytime i turn it past center, this happens when it is cold and eventually goes away-im sure it is a simple problem but im not so good with auto mechanics yet, but i am learning a lot, from this site in particular
2.) scraping sound on left driver side wheel when taking sharp turns at like 10-15 MPH or so-also happens only on occasion and when it is cold-tends to go away after car is warmed up
3.) When the wheel is hard over to one side and i am moving slow, such as might be the case when parking, the tranny slips and runs in limp mode..had the tranny checked recently and they said nothing was wrong that they could see so possibly the steering being hard over has something to do with it because that is the only time it slips-or maybe im just a moron :) but either way it still slips and the tranny shop saw no probs

...any ideas are appreciated

#2 ·
Do a search on the forum for sterring squeek, squak, noises and so on...It could be one or more things in the fantastically crappy Chrysler steering system, and has most likely already been discussed. Scraping sound around corners? Could you be more specific? Something could be rubbing in there, like a brake hose with a broken bracket...take off the wheel and have a look under there.

As for the tranny slipping when you turn the wheel hard, I have no idea. Differential maybe, but not likely...

#3 ·
i have read other threads on this type of thing before but was never left with an objective definition and i was hoping that some of these noises may be related..the noises have been attributed to tie rods in other posts, which may need to be replaced soon, but i havent heard about the knocking sound in yet-could it just be something loose in the column? the scraping noise is like medal on medal as others described it-sounds almost as though the car is bottoming out--and i have yet to see someone with the same tranny problem

#4 ·
Hey TSM...

I had the "bump-knock" and the "scrape" just like you. Youare right, the scrape sounded like metal/metal, and mine only happened when turning to the left, at a slow speed in a parking lot....my wife noticed it first.

It was drivable for several months like that, then all of a sudden one day, it got really hart to steer.

Replaced tie rods...didn't help at all...

Had to get the rack/pinion replaced....now it is like a new car...

good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.