DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Tranny fluid problem!

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Veeb0rg 
#1 ·
Hey, I just changed out my tranny fluid with ATF +4 and a new tranny kit(filter and gasket). Well I called the parts store prior to doing this asking them how many quarts it would take and they said 4. But when I drove the car this morning the tranny started to slip a little.

Is 4 quarts correct for doing just a "drop the pan" procedure or is everything fine.

#4 ·
Agreed. Auto trannies love to slip (dry sump) when they're low on fluid.

#6 ·
I have a 3.3 and I did not drain the torque converter, just the pan.

I just dont see how it would slip if it only needs a quart or less more of fluid.

#7 ·
Two questions about this:

1. You check the fluid when the engine is running and somewhat warm right?

2. Is there any way to install a drain plug in the tranny pan?

#8 ·
Yea but see the thing is u cant just start your car a let it set for a few mins and then get a good reading from the dipstick. You need to drive it some like someone said earlier and then check it.

That is why after I changed out my fluid I let it run for a few mins and it showed full but apparently it really is not.

I think it is possible to install a drain plug, but u still need to change out the filter and gasket.

#9 ·
Where is the tranny filter located? Do you know the procedure for installing a drain plug. It seems this would be an ideal addition, cause then you could just drain old fluid out and refill whenever you wanted. On that note, if you were to drain out of a plug, how much would you fill back in through the dipstick tube?
Surely there would still be some of the old fluid still in the tranny; it isn't all going to drain out at once right? If you know how to install this plug, please let me know: location, type of plug, ect. It would help a lot. Cool stuff. Oh and the dual pipes look great on your car man. Nice red color too. I don't always care for a car in red but that color you have there looks great. Is that a custom job?

#10 ·
Where is the tranny filter located?
It should be visable when you drop the pan. Its like a rectagular metal thing.

Do you know the procedure for installing a drain plug. It seems this would be an ideal addition, cause then you could just drain old fluid out and refill whenever you wanted.
Sure, a drain plug would be nice, but i dont think it would be worth it since you will only probably change the transmission fluid at the most, like twice, unless your car lives very long (like 300k+ miles).

#11 ·
Hmmm, true. But if you kept changing the fluid like at least once a year as I plan to do, then it would be for the better right? I change my oil every 2.5 months, if it needs it or not. I like keeping new stuff in the car. Changing the tranny fluid ever eight months or so would keep those metal bits out of there.

#12 ·
The capacity of the transmission and TC sump is 9.9 qts. When you drop the pan you lose about 4-5 qts. If you check the oil level when the oil is at room temperature (70 deg. F.) the level should be 1/4" above the bottom hole in the dipstick. When heated to normal temperature (180 deg. F.) the level should be in the hot area of the stick. Too much or too little oil can cause problems.

FredB

#13 ·
also when you put fluid back in the tranny did you start the car and run the tranny from park to reverse to drive and back again several times to make sure the fluid was circulated thru the tranny and then check level again?

#14 ·
This same situation happened to me two months ago. I posted a thread about it. It needs closer to 5 quarts after dropping the pan. Also, this would be a good time to change the differential fluid. ;)

#15 ·
i usta work at a oil change shop.. 4-5 quarts sounds right..

also put your foot on the brake, put it in reverse, hold for 5 or so seconds, put teh car in neutral, wait 5 seconds.. etc all the way down, then the same going back up..

thats how we usta do it in the shop.. work great..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.