DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Misfireing 97 Intrepid 3.5

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ymindebt 
#1 ·
I have a 97 Intrepid Sport 3.5 and the number 5 cylinder doesnt fire. Code number 43 reads on the dash and the check engine light is always on. I just got the car a month or 2 ago so it is still under warrenty i was just wondering if it happened to anyone else or if its a common problem with a simple solution or am i lookin for new fuel injectors or new motor? By the way the spark plug does spark i've replaced the plugs, wires, and coil pack already.

#2 ·
I've heard the intake gasket tends to fail in the area near the rear of the engine, which would cause #5 to run lean and misfire.

Just a guess, but it may be something to look into.

#3 ·
plugs

When you changed your plugs, what kind did you use? I remember reading somewhere on here that the 3.5's tend to "eat" platinum plugs. Just a thought

-bob

#4 ·
Re: plugs

boobala said:
When you changed your plugs, what kind did you use? I remember reading somewhere on here that the 3.5's tend to "eat" platinum plugs. Just a thought

-bob

i dont remember what brand they were but i do know they werent platinum plugs

#5 ·
Get a propane torch and let loose some propane (not lit) around the intake manifold to head gasket at the rear of the engine around #5 cyl. Do this with the engine at idle. If the idle changes then you have a shot intake gasket, very common on the 3.5L after 50K miles.

FredB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.