DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

3.5L Oil Light Flickering...

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  BiggestDaddy 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a 1996 3.5L (109,000 miles) and whenever I am sitting at a stop light my oil light starts flickering. As soon as i start moving it goes out never to be seen again (until i come to another stop). It's not doing it EVERY time, just most times. I have read the one thread about how the 2.7L's were doing this, and that it was probably a bad sending unit/wire harness. But what can it be since I have a 3.5? I just recently had some UNRELATED trouble with it (wouldn't start, sprayed ether in the intake (after replacing the EGR (which computer did give a trouble code for), IVC, and fuel filter) and it started up and now it seems to be AOK). So i just want to be sure that my oil pressure isn't too low. Hopefully it is just like the 2.7, in that it is a fluke with the sending unit or something.

It has been doing this for probably a half year now. Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
HP

#2 ·
As soon as I figure it out (maybe next weekend) I will tell you. I am pretty sure it is going to be a bad sending unit for me. I replaced some other components in lieu of correcting this problem.

#3 ·
viprman,
is this a 3.5L that is giving you a flickering oil light ? I will keep my eyes peeled for what you find out.

Also, I have the Haynes manual for this car and i haven't found anything about the Oil Pressure Sending Unit, or the wiring harness? Where is it located, or if it's in the book, what page? ;)

#5 ·
oil pressure light

I have had the same problem, and I think I have found the answer, at least for mine! I replaced my oil sending unit. Be sure to clean the connector THOROUGHLY, no traces of oil or dirt on it at all. Also, use a genuine Chrysler part. I have tried an aftermarket replacement, with the oil light coming on some afterwards. My sender started leaking a little before it eventually started to fail. The sender is located a little forward of the oil filter, toward the front of the engine. The connector can be difficult to remove. You will need a 1 1/16 deep socket for removal of the sending unit. Have something to collect oil, you will loose perhaps an ounce or so. Good luck! (I have been told by a Jeep mechanic that Chrysler has had a lot of trouble with these sending units.)

#8 ·
mine does it at idle also, but my rpm's drop down to like 300-400rpms, car shakes and oil light comes on, any ideas? only thing in my haynes manual says -clearence in bearings are to much- or to that effect

#9 ·
your idle is too low, and is most likely responsible for your oil light 'flickering." Are there any errors in your computer? Have you checked your idle speed motor for proper operation? I cleaned my idle speed motor the same time I replaced the oil sender, because I suspected that may have been part/all of the problem. My wife drives the car most all the time, and could not tell me if it was idling too low occasionally. She never noticed a rough idle though. My idle on my 3.5L is usually a little over 500 when warm, probably 900 or so when cold. Several sensors (such as the TPS) involved here that can affect idle, so I hope you can get some answers with a scan tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.