DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Adjusting trunk lid

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  knuckles 
#1 ·
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before but I could not find any information when doing a search...

Water is leaking into my trunk and I noticed that the trunk is a little out of alignment. I am hoping that this is the reason for it leaking rain inside. This is a really easy question but in my Haynes manual to adjust the trunk lid, it shows a pic where to loosen the bolt but I notice two per side. Is the trunk lid adjusted by bolts under the carpet matting on the trunk lid or the bottom hinges inside the trunk?

#2 ·
The rubber stopers on the trunk lid twist. The latch can also be mounted at different heights.

#3 ·
Never heard of or had that issue.... I would look at replacing the rubber

#4 ·
To test to see if the weatherstripping isn't making full contact you could always put some Crisco or similar product in a continuous bead on top of the weatherstripping and then close the trunk. When you open the trunk back up, you should see a nice greasy line all the way around your trunk lid. If you don't, your weatherstripping might also be suspect.

#5 ·
Thanks, I opened the trunk lid and poured water all around the base of the weatherstripping. I did not see any water seep into the trunk, so I suspect it is something to do with the seal like you said. I will break out the crisco and try that. I thought in the Haynes manual it gave a picture of the bolt that adjusts the trunk lid in foreward and aft, I just cant figure out which one it is. I know it sounds crazy but the picture only shows the bolt and not really its location. The trunk is really crooked so that may be it. As far as the response about the rubber stoppers twisting, what do you mean?

#6 ·
Ok-I realigned my trunk and I still am getting major amounts of water in it. I have taken a garden hose and let it run all around the trunk but nothing seeps in. Then I thought it had to be leaking from underneath so I parked it during the next rain and it still had a pool of water in it. This is driving me nuts! Has anyone heard of the tail lights leaking or the upper brake light area?

#7 ·
Mine also always gets filled with water and I'm looking for a solution as well.

#8 ·
Where abouts is the water pooling?
If you suspect the seal you can put a sheet of paper on the seal then close the trunk, if the paper slides out easily this could be a leak source. If your seal is in good condition take a big rubber mallet and hit the metal underside of the seal up, so as to tighten the gap between the trunk and trunk lid.
The best way to check for leaks is to pull away the trunk liner from the sides and back (don't forget water travels) and watch for drips or a stream of water. A few places water can get in are
1. seal
2. body seam around the trunk opening
3. plastic plugs the liner fasteners go in
4. a burned through spot weld
5. around the rear glass
6. tailight mounting holes

#10 ·
I was checking my spare the other day and I also found a whole bunch of water inside my trunk ! Mostly on the passenger side but also under the spare. I ripped out the carpet and I think I found out where it is coming from . There is a vent/flapper hole on each side of the trunk [ so that when you close your trunk the air inside escapes ] well these vents are covered by a thin piece of rubber that acts as a flap , these flaps do not form a good seal. The vents are in the wheelwell area and this lets in all kinds of water from the tires ! I took some silicone and caulked around the flaps , I have yet to test it out yet because my car has been laid up with a broken intake manifold bolt:mad: I just got it out the other day and have yet to assemble it back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.