DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Towed LHS to dealer...

816 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  99300mricva 
#1 ·
I finally got my fuel-leaking LHS towed to the dealership and told them that I suspected bad o-rings and a bad rail and left it at that. I get a call back from the dealer about three hours later and they tell me it will be $310.30. I said what the heck for?? They said for dual throttle body cleaning, fuel injector work and something else. So I asked them if they were telling me I didnt have a fuel rail leak. They said no you have a fuel rail leak. I then said why are you trying to do all this additional work. I brought it in for a FUEL RAIL LEAK-not other work. Then he said oh, ok. Well, it still needs to be done he said. I told him to fix the leak only and give me my LHS back. What makes me mad are car dealers always trying to get something out of me. Maybe I do need what he said, but I didn't bring it in for that and he could have said, "well, the fuel rail leak will be taken care of by the recall but we also found that you need blah blah..." That would have been okay but he told me when he called me that it would be $310.30 period. Now its fixed and waiting for me to pick it up.
:mad: :mad:

#2 ·
Rowdy said:
...Now its fixed and waiting for me to pick it up.
Glad to hear you got it fixed. ;) If you feel the dealer was trying to be underhanded (sounds like they were), then call the DaimlerChrysler Customer Center @ 1-800-992-1997, or, you can blow it off and be thankful your car didn't catch on fire. I remember seeing a pic of a burned trep here on the boards a while back. No doubt it was the result of the leaky fuel rail....

#3 ·
Thanks for the number argus. The only problem is she is stuck at the dealer until probably Thursday. I live in Tulsa and we are in the middle of a Winter Storm with up to a foot of snow. The storm will close down the dealership tomorrow probably and then Wednesday is Christmas. (sigh) I miss my car already. Am I being a sap or do you all feel that way about your vehicles?

#4 ·
I get physically ill when my car is in a shop--especially at the dealer. :p

I had to wait a few days on my car when it had the recall work done because they had to order the fuel rail when they found it was cracked.

Just treat your LHS to a nice wash when you get it back. All will be forgiven. :wink:

#5 ·
Rowdy said:
I finally got my fuel-leaking LHS towed to the dealership and told them that I suspected bad o-rings and a bad rail and left it at that. I get a call back from the dealer about three hours later and they tell me it will be $310.30. I said what the heck for?? They said for dual throttle body cleaning, fuel injector work and something else. So I asked them if they were telling me I didnt have a fuel rail leak. They said no you have a fuel rail leak. I then said why are you trying to do all this additional work. I brought it in for a FUEL RAIL LEAK-not other work. Then he said oh, ok. Well, it still needs to be done he said. I told him to fix the leak only and give me my LHS back. What makes me mad are car dealers always trying to get something out of me. Maybe I do need what he said, but I didn't bring it in for that and he could have said, "well, the fuel rail leak will be taken care of by the recall but we also found that you need blah blah..." That would have been okay but he told me when he called me that it would be $310.30 period. Now its fixed and waiting for me to pick it up.
:mad: :mad:
I get the fuel injector work and throttle body cleaning done very two years. It costs a lot less than $300 canadian. I dunno what the hell they're doing. Usually $100 canadian.

#7 ·
**** that.. I wouldn't pay the dealer.. Tell him you didnt ask for that and he should have called you to tell you first.. His loss man.. You got the shitty end of the stick if you pay him..

#8 · (Edited)
See, don't fall for that fuel injector and throttle body cleaning. They try to stick that with you every time there is any problem that you have with the engine running funny. All they really do is pour a bottle of cleaner in the tank, spray throttle body cleaner into the throttle bodies (don't even take them off) and as for the injectors themselves, I don't believe they even remove them from the fuel rail. They may run cleaner through the schrader valve on the fuel rail but big deal. Not worth $300. Maybe $50.

The best way to clean the injectors is to pull them from the rail, flow them to see what they are flowing at in terms of fluid and then clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner. Anything short of this is a waste of money. I don't know of any garage or dealership that does this. The main goal here is to see whether the injector is bad, clean it and see if it helped. If it didn't you get a new one. Flow all of them to see if they are flowing similar rates.

Every time I took a car into the dealer (only experience with Dodge dealers) they want to do that service. I tell them to bite me. Sometimes I think it is a test to see whether I know anything about cars. Gee, I can whip out my diploma and show you my two years studying Automotive Engineering Technology on top of my BSME :p .

#9 ·
I asked the dealer if I needed this work performed in order for the vehicle to be driveable just to see what he said and his answer was, "well, I wouldn't drive it cross country". Okay maybe my gas mileage and some performance would be affected. but gee whiz.

#10 ·
umm wil this leak cause a code im getting a code 21 for the left side and everything is new, gaskets and o2 sensors. how do you tell if there is a leak?

#11 ·
My engine bay reaked of gasoline before I had the recall done, no code

#12 ·
All they do, I think is spray some stuff in the throttle body to clean it and then run some cleaner through the injectors. On Shade Tree Mechanic, I saw them disconnect the main fuel line and connect a can of fuel/cleaner and run the car off of that.

My solution for years has been to use two Amsoil products, the PI (Peformance Improver) and the Power Foam. The PI is poured in the gas tank, 6oz will clean your injectors and valves. 2 oz per tankfull will keep the engine running clean and seriously reduces emissions (helpful if you have to pass smog inspection). Also is supposed to lubricate the upper cylinder and valves.

The Power Foam is sprayed into the throttle body with the engine running. Use the whole can, and yes the car will exhaust white smoke while you do it. It's also an excellent degreaser, best I've used.

Both these products fix your fuel system for A LOT cheaper than what the shops are charging you. I've never had this service done on any fuel injected vehicle I've owned. Cleans carborator vehicles too.

PI: http://www.amsoil.com/products/api.html

Power Foam: http://www.amsoil.com/products/apf.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.