DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

my car always runs cold

984 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  trutrep 
#1 ·
On my 94, the temperature gauge never gets to the halfway mark...the highest it ever goes is a tickmark under the halfway mark. Should I worried about this? What does running cold mean for the car?

#2 ·
roshg said:
On my 94, the temperature gauge never gets to the halfway mark...the highest it ever goes is a tickmark under the halfway mark. Should I worried about this?
Do you want your trep's temperature to skyrocket and overheat? Therefore , yes, a tick under the halfway mark is normal. Hell ask any 2nd gen owner and their cars do the same. That is how high mine will go. So basically no... you shouldn't worry.

#3 ·
Crombie's right. Sounds normal to me. The only time mine hits the halfway mark is in the summer, and then I can hear the radiator fans kick up to high speed, and then it goes back down under the halfway mark.

#5 ·
argus said:
Crombie's right. then I can hear the radiator fans kick up to high speed.
Why thank you.. :blush: ... ahhh... the world famous annoying sound of the radiator fans.

#6 ·
Yeah, mines near a 1/4 about C as well. The only times it went higher than that is when it over heated!

#7 ·
My temp guage stays around 1/2 once the car gets good and warmed up...? Once it gets to 1/2 it tends to stay around that. At highway speeds it fluctuates between 1/4 and 1/2.

#8 ·
Of course fluctuations depend a great deal on the temperature rating of the thermostat when it opens, but all vehicles will not be exactly the same. It all depends on how clean and operable your radiator is as well as your waterpump and also your gauges are not 100% accurate.

#9 ·
Phew, sounds good, nothing to worry about anymore :)

#10 ·
My radiator gets to the halfway mark and it never used to. It was about where yours is at roshg. But now my radiator is partly clogged and its performance has decreased. When I get it reverse flushed, it should go back to just under halfway again like it used to.

#11 ·
Rowdy said:
Of course fluctuations depend a great deal on the temperature rating of the thermostat when it opens, but all vehicles will not be exactly the same. It all depends on how clean and operable your radiator is as well as your waterpump and also your gauges are not 100% accurate.
Those are good points. I flush my radiator every now and then. My coolant level is consistent with no leaks so far. Outside temp does play a part it in also... As long as it doesn't overheat I should be str8 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.