DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Discolored headlights

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  trutrep 
#1 ·
I have discolored headlights. i guess it would be more like the lenses were discolored. i was wondering if anyone has had ths problem and how they righted it, short of replacing the lenses. i was also wondering (and yes i have searched for this) what the best replacement lights (or bulbs) are for the intrepid. any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

#2 ·
i have the same problem. i think others here have went with briter bulbs. and some of those from PIAA or PAII or sumthing like that im not sure how to spell it. i can tell ya now i dont think anything will take the discoloration out of the lenses, ive tried everything from soapy water to glass polish, so automotive glass cleaner. nuthing worked. i found a site call discountautopartsonline.com (sorry dont know how to post a link yet) they have the headlight units for $52.95 right now. im getting ready to ored a set if i can scrap up the money. id rather replace the headlight assembly for one big prcie than have to spend more money on expensive headlights., but thats just me

#3 ·
I had a 1st gen...and I used a compound and polished mine..they came up quite nice...if its on the inside...your SOL...also...take note how poorly the headlight fastening system is designed....best be oiling those torx head screws...cause everything tends to want to break when you try to get the headlight pods out

#4 ·
I have the same problem. There are several members who were able to correct the problem with fine grit sandpaper along with rubbing compound, but I don't remember exactly. You should be able to find some information by doing a search for yellow headlights.

#5 ·
Polish and a hand held rotary buffer. Works well , but you will have to periodically redo the buff job.

#8 ·
#9 ·
My '93 had the yellowed lenses and when i took them out to replace bulbs the mounts broke so i bought aftermarket ones. they looked and worked better but in less than 6 months the mounting posts disintegrated... the beams were bouncing all over the place on a bumpy road so when I got home i checked them out and they were just held in by the side markers and the H/L wiring harness. I definitely did not over tighten them.. so if you choose to buy an after market housing just make sure they are of decent quality..

#10 ·
Well I tried the Crest toothpaste technique which seemed to make a difference at first, but I found that after the headlights dried that the same yellow haze returned (maybe not as yellow, but definitely still there) :( I picked up some rubbing compound, hopefully that will do the trick...

#11 ·
use a fine grit sandpaper, (1000+) and get it down to new plastic, make sure you WET sand, meaning periodically spray water and then sand, then after you have it down to the new plastic use a rubbing compound and just rub it down to a finished look, worked fantastically for me!

#16 ·
Well I tried the Crest toothpaste technique which seemed to make a difference at first, but I found that after the headlights dried that the same yellow haze returned (maybe not as yellow, but definitely still there) I picked up some rubbing compound, hopefully that will do the trick...
Maybe putting a plastic polish on them would help them from yellowing again.

#17 ·
I tried using rust inhibitor. I had to pour it into the headlight assembly and swish it around using really hot water. It worked a little, but nothing in the way of great. I am just going to get the new lamp housing. Screw it.

#18 ·
hypnos said:
Maybe putting a plastic polish on them would help them from yellowing again.
OK, thanks for the suggestion. I will try the rubbing compound first... if that doesn't work I'll try some plastic polish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.