DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Speedometer and other Gremlins...

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Kibster 
#1 ·
Have a 97 Interpid w/3.3 - that was an unfortunate accident victim recently. Took a hit to the drivers side nose - not real major, mostly sheet metal and headlight package.

Since the car came back from the body shop - the speedometer has taken on a mind of it's own. Talk about performance, idling in the garage, I've gone as fast as 120MPH! The speedometer will work (accurately) for a bit, then surge ahead or drop, then regain it's footing. Fun things happen with the trans during these episodes! And you can imagine the fun when the speedometer pegs at 120 MPH (for the un-initiated - the "speedlimiter" effect kicks in) while your tied up in traffic - you can become real unpopular real quick...

An added gremlin - the wipers no randomly go on - just a pass or two, then off again! Can you say "Christine"?

I've replaced both the input & output sensors - and the problems continue.

I'm unsure if the two issues are related (other than beginning post accident) or not. Without a full schematic - I don't know if they share a common harness or module/s...

Obviously the bodyshop is in no hurry to chase this...any thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, where to begin.. let's see, check your fuses lately? I'm wondering if you have a pcm issue, perhaps bring it to the dealer for a scan? I really do know what im talking about, but I haven't quite heard of this. :) Sounds like the collision might have jarred something loose etc.

#4 ·
Is your battery in good condition? I had some gremlins when my battery was on its last leg.

#7 ·
I had a similiar problem like that with my trep. After replacing the tranny controller didnt fix the problem, they checked the wiring. The dealer said a ground wire came loose but the bastards wouldn't say which one!

#8 ·
Thanks for the tips and sympathy!

No the "air bags" weren't deployed, but I'll have to take a close look at the trans controller and grounds in that area.

Battery is only about a year old - and seems ok - but I'll throw a meter on it anyway.

Although I have a degree in Electronics, and work as a Network Administrator, it feels as if I'm blind without a schematic (although I have a partial in a mini-Chiltons book - so I guess I'm 1/2 blind at this point).

Gives me something to do this weekend other than watch the Bears lose (sorry, I'm in Illinois). This weekend even the Packer fans will feel bad when the Bears lose...

Thanks again for the support - great website!

#9 ·
Kibster said:
Thanks for the tips and sympathy!

Gives me something to do this weekend other than watch the Bears lose (sorry, I'm in Illinois). This weekend even the Packer fans will feel bad when the Bears lose...
We never feel bad when DA bears lose :D :p

#10 ·
well i would be telling the body shop and the insurance that this problem happend right after the car got hit so its still not ficed to the before accident condition that it should have been. i would tell then to take the car and fix it how ever they need to to make it like it USED to be with no problems :)

#11 ·
Wardruid said:
well i would be telling the body shop and the insurance that this problem happend right after the car got hit so its still not ficed to the before accident condition that it should have been. i would tell then to take the car and fix it how ever they need to to make it like it USED to be with no problems :)
Good point. If the accident was recent and the adjuster hasn't closed out your claim yet, the insurance co may foot the bill.

If you feel this may make your rates climb, then consider reseating the TCM connectors (located near the battery area). If that doesn't work, then start tightening visible grounds. There's a couple on the front frame rails and there's one in the back near the driver side rear fender well I believe. Again, good luck.

#12 ·
Found It!

Threw caution to the wind and yanked the battery and battery tray to get at the wiring harnesses and control module.

Nothing jumped out at me at first, connectors all appeared well seated, no obvious nicks/cuts from the accident. No inner fenderwell damage that I could see.

Decided to put the car up in the air to get a better look at the lower harnesses.

And what do I see? Besides my power steering pump "peeing" all over the underside of the car (the body shop replaced the pulley that was "whacked" during the accident - the adjuster wouldn't write a replacement pump!) - a very loose ground connect on the inner frame rail (adjacent to the power steering pump)! Wasn't even finger tight! Near as I can tell, this is a common ground (multiple wires/connectors) for multiple circuits.

Tighened the screw (self tapping hex head) and put everything back together. Speedo is now back to it's stable self - at least during my test drive.

So...the automotive "gods" were favorable...

Still have to chase the insurance company on the PS Pump - something the body shop probably won't balk at working on...

Thanks again - file this one away...KM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.