DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Code 52 help

646 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JuniorTT 
#1 ·
I recently made a 750 mile road trip in my '93 ES and ever since then my car has been really hard to start. The other night it took almost a half hour to get it started because it flooded so badly. Finally, today I was out and got a check engine light for a code 52. I know this means my O2 sensor is getting a reading that is really rich. Given the way the car has been starting and running before it gets warmed up (as well as the gasoline smells), I trust that the sensor really is getting a reading of too rich...but does this all mean I need a new sensor that can lean things down or does it mean something else has let go (coil pack, wires, plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, etc.).

I put new plugs in 2 years ago and there are no obvious signs of arcing with the wires.

I'm trying to do a search for a code 52, but 52 is below the four character minimum...UGH!

#2 ·
I put new plugs in 2 years ago
hmmmm....... i don't think that the plugs would help you at all here, but IMHO you might want to change them.

#3 ·
The bad thing about our cars is the 02 sensors are about the only sensors that will create a code when they see an unacceptable reading (rich/lean). Most of our other sensors have to die before they'll actually generate a code. Could be one of a myriad of other sensors (possibly a gummy IAC idle air control valve) going out of tolerance that would create a rich condition. How do your throttle bodies look? They tend to gum up right about where the plates want to rest at idle.

Anyway, I'd pull the plugs and inspect them (I know they're not that old, but it's the easiest thing to check first). Next, clean throttle bodies, next check IAC valve....

#4 ·
I put in new wires and plugs today. The code light went off, but when I came back from my test drive I still had a strong gas smell. I decided to check the charcoal gas vapor canister under the air filter box and I found the inlet line to the vapor canister was very loose or maybe even off. I put it back on and took another test spin...no more gas smell!!!

Unfortunately, my trep still feels grossly underpowered. Ever since I got the car 3 years ago, I haven't seen nearly the speed other DI.net members speak of. Maybe my first throttle body cleaning and fuel filter replacement tomorrow will be the fix I need? Any other suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.