DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Fuel smell

7K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  kdwyer 
#1 ·
Whenever any of you have had your fuel rail recall done, did you notice a fuel smell for awhile afterwards? My wife thinks that it may still be leaking, but I dont see the leak anymore and I was thinking that since they worked on the fuel lines that perhaps there was some spilled fuel that is residual from working on it and it may need to "burn off" for awhile. What has been your experience with this?

#2 ·
My fuel smell went away quickly. In fact, it was gone when I picked it up. I suppose if some fuel puddled up somewhere the smell may last a while (a day or two), but the dealer should have cleaned that up.

If you still smell the fuel after a couple of days, I would say the dealer bumped the injectors when working on the fuel rail. An injector o-ring may have failed and began to leak ever so slightly. The injector o-rings aren't necessarily replaced during the recall (if they weren't leaking at the time) and btw they happen to be made of inferior material.

Anyway, if you smell fuel, I would take it back and wait for the service manager to make a diagnosis. That way, they are liable.

#3 ·
I had my fuel rails replaced several years ago before knowing about the recall. I still smell gas on occasion to this day. I might take it into the dealer and have them perform the recall work.
I've often wondered about the evaporative fuel canister (I think that's what it's called) mounted in the engine compartment. It has charcoal in it and I think its purpose is to absorb fuel vapors. Does this thing ever need replacing or get full?

#5 ·
The dealership is closed on Saturdays (why?!!!) so I could not have anyone look at it. I do know that a lot of fuel spilled out all over my engine and onto the frame and underneath. I have not driven it but a few hours since I had the work done. I have not found anything wet or leaking. I am hoping that all it is is residual fuel that needs to be cleaned off. I only notice the smell when idling in traffic. I went and bought some engine cleaner/degreaser and cleaned off the engine and underneath as best as I could. I hope that this removes the smell.

This is what the dealer performed:

RECALL 790
REPLACE FUEL RAIL O RINGS AND OUTLET RAIL AND INJECTOR O RINGS PER RECALL

5069022-AA GSKT PKG 14062003
5015972-AA O RING FU 14099004
CADJ7902 RAIL PKG 14107030

If this does not work, then I guess I have two options: bumped injector and/or fuel canister...

#6 ·
Rowdy said:
This is what the dealer performed:

RECALL 790
REPLACE FUEL RAIL O RINGS AND OUTLET RAIL AND INJECTOR O RINGS PER RECALL

5069022-AA GSKT PKG 14062003
5015972-AA O RING FU 14099004
CADJ7902 RAIL PKG 14107030
The "CADJ7902 RAIL PKG" is the optional package and is used when a fuel leak is present. This means that kit changed the following in addition to the regular recall work:
1 Reinforced Outlet Rail
3 Upper Injector 0-Rings
3 Lower Injector 0-Rings

This is good. The injector o-rings were replaced along with the fuel rail, on the passenger side only though. I guess you could still have a leaky injector o-ring on the driver side fuel rail....

Hopefully it's just residual fuel and it'll evaporate, and you won't have to go back to the dealer. ;)

#8 ·
Hutch5375 said:
I've noticed the fuel smell lately. I bought my Dodge used, so can I take it to any dealer to have the service done?
Yep. Especially if you have the 3.5L engine. These babies are prone to catching the car on fire until you get the recall work done.

#10 ·
Well I took it in the other day, finally, but it wasn't the fuel rail recall. Ended up being fuel injector o-rings. The dealer pretty much had me bent over, because they pulled my whole car apart to diagnos it, plus charged me labor to it set me back $350.00 for $15 worth of parts. So far no more smell. However it is very stubborn when it's cold, such as it only only runs on 4 or 5 cylinders until it warms up. Any thoughts?

#11 ·
Perhaps your intake manifold gasket is craping out?

#12 ·
Great site!!

I stumbled on this forum while trying to find out why my 1997 Dodge Intrepid has such a bad fuel smell. I was able to determine that the smell is due to recall 790.

I took my car to the dealership yesterday and today they are telling me that they will replace the fuel rail for free but that I have some fuel injector O-rings that need to be replaced because they are leaking too. They say they will have to charge me ($195) to replace the O-rings because they are not covered by the recall. Is this true or am I being yanked here? If it is covered how do I force the dealership to refund my $$$?

Thanks in advance for any help

#13 ·
I had my 790 recall done last week, but before I went to the dealer I went to Chrysler official web site, found their e-mail and wrote them my VIN nomber asking if I am eligible for a recall, I got an answear the next day - they said yes. Right now on the receipt infront of me it says <recall 709, fuel rail o'ring and reinforcements> then it says <put reinforcements>. Total hours spent on the vehicle 2.20. Everything was free..I think o-rings should be covered, that's where I had leak and the smell of gas.

#15 ·
The dealership replaced my intake manifold gasket and in doing so also replaced the other gaskets that are in there. Now, the fuel smell is gone. Just an idea.

#16 ·
Gas Smell - 1996 Dodge Intrepid ES

Well, just got my car back today. Cost $350 for new fuel injector o-ring install and new manifold gasket. The car was eligible for recall 790 but had already been performed back in 03'. I am not the original owner. The recall only pays for fuel rail/ and fuel rail o-ring's from what I was told. I needed the fuel injector o-rings. It is much better to get this done and pay the money. Better than blowing up and catching fire. Plus I like going to work and not smelling like gasoline.

Has anyone does this repair themselves? Is it fairly easy to do for a person who can follow a repair manual and has some mechanical experience? Any input would be nice. I know the o-ring kit is only about $20 dollars at Autozone. The gasket can't be that much either.

#17 ·
I would think they would replace all necessary hardware including o-rings and gaskets that are associated with any parts affected by recall. Don't get screwed by the dealer...they perform the recall for free but might want to make some $$$ on the side.

#18 ·
My wife's 3.5 had a noticeable fuel smell some time back. Ended up being a bad injector. I replaced it myself, and replaced all of the o-rings for the other injectors at the same time. I forget now how much $$ it cost, but nothing close to what you guys are quoting from the dealership. Then again, I don't charge myself $80/hour for labor...
Just remember if you do your o-rings, you have to lube them when installed. Regular motor oil is fine, just enough to coat the ring; no need to have them dripping with oil and plugging them back into your engine!

#19 ·
Well, the fuel smell is now gone. Took the vehicle in for recall 790. The fuel rail and rail o-rings have been replaced. But, before they did the work they told me it was the fuel injector o-rings and manifold gasket that needed replacement. These two are not covered under the recall. They had me over a barrel because they would have charged me $90 to diagnose this. I told them to continue on and replace the fuel injector o-rings and gasket. Got the car back and still had fuel smell. Service advisor said it was residual fuel from work performed. Indicated it would burn off in a day or two. No luck! I decided to replace the fuel filter myself. While the vehicle was jacked up on rear wheels to make switching the filter out easier, I notice fuel pooling towards the front of my manifold/injector area. Took my finger and touched it. Smelled like gas. A leak was discovered. Took it back in and they found the fail ruel had a pinhole leak towards the back end. They covered it under recall. The mechanic put things back together and engine ran like crap. One fuel injector must have been damaged or something so it was replaced. Car runs and performs like a champ now. I also noticed the car is no longer sucking up gas and has much better gas mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.