DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Car shakes bad at idle

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  hydrochoos 
#1 ·
I tried a search first, didn't find anything like this.
My dad's '95 Intrepid 3.5L shakes quite a bit when the car is in idle, but only when my foot is on the brake, and the transmission is in D, R, 3, or L. So it does not do this in P or N. Also, it idles at ~975 in P or N but ~750 while in gear. My dad was convinced its an ignition problem, although I'm sceptical b/c I don't think the car would be able to shake that badly with just the engine running rough, the transmission would have to be involved somehow. We changed the plugs & wires tonight, helped a bit, but the problem persists.

car has ~107,000 & transmission was rebuilt under warranty at ~40,000. Thanks.

#3 ·
if i remember correctly from another thread, you can use an unlit propane torch to test the intake gasket, just let the propane flow around the gasket while the car is running, if the car idles erratically then the gasket is your problem. I'm pretty sure that's it, and i'm too lazy to do a search right now, or i would.

-bob

#5 ·
Axle said:
Heh, coincidentally, I had a 95 3.5, turned out that the problem was a faulty EGR valve.
Same here. Mine didn't light up the check engine light for a while though.

#6 ·
Definitely check for vacuum leaks..... my intake manifold gasket started leaking at right around 107,000 :(

#7 ·
I am pretty sure my dad replaced the EGR valve. Thanks though

I will check that gasket thing now. He said the problem started right after he did the tuneup in 8/01, and he took the intake manifold off to do the plugs or to do something. Thanks guys, great board!

#8 ·
Check the coil pack

Mine one day just started running rough real bad at a stop light. Roughness subsided but did it in the 30-40 mph range and felt like lekaing exhaust or tranny troubles. All that it was one cylinder not firing. $68 lifetime pack at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Fixed runs like a champ. Of course this came after I replaced the head gaskets at a mechanics advice. So much for ASE huh?

Erik.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.