DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Code 32 Need some help Please

660 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  argus 
#1 · (Edited)
My wifes car just acted up and I got the code 32, It just won't Idle, if I keep the gas pedal down just a small amont it will stay running and I got it home last night. It runs smooth and has good response but if you take your foot off the pedal the engine will stop. What I need is some testing process to determine what part needs replacing. As I'm recovering from back surgery and not getting a full check and the holidays, And so on. As all of us, we don't have the money to just throw parts at it till it is fixed.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
LOU:blush:

#2 ·
First off, welcome to the boards. :wink:

Code 32 means you're having EGR troubles. We have an EGR system that monitors exhaust backpressure and allows some exhaust gases to be recirculated to the intake at various times for emissions purposes. The EGR valve itself is manually controlled by a vacuum line from the EET solenoid. So, there's really one of 3 things going on: 1) could be as simple as a vacuum line is bad somewhere and there is no longer sufficient vacuum to operate the EGR properly, 2) The EET solenoid is faulty or it's connector/wiring is faulty, and/or 3) the EGR valve itself is bad.

When our computer loses control of the EGR based on any of the above 3 occurrences, then the EGR fails open and allows exhaust gases to be re-circulated to the intake continuously (even when it's not supposed to, i.e. at idle). Then, your car idles like complete crap.

Anyway, you may be out some bucks for the EGR valve and EET solenoid, but I would check all the vacuum lines first for an easy fix. Best of luck.

#4 ·
Yeah, it was awful nice of the engineers to design the EGR system in such a way so that whenever a leg of the system fails, the EGR valve sticks open and causes the car to run like garbage. :sarcasm:

Although, I suppose if they’d designed it to fail closed, then you’d never know it broke and the clean air folks wouldn’t be too happy. :p

#5 ·
Well, I went out and looked at the car and checked the wiring and the vac hoses and everything looked good. I started it up and it ran fine??????? I took it out for a little ride and it runs great????? The wife took it to work and back home. I did see the two vacum hoses that run to the valve covers are bad (soft and colapsing) so I replaced them and gave it an oil change. It's runing fine. I think it might have been a bad electrical connection
Thanks for the Info LOU

#6 ·
Congrats Lou! Looks like you found the easiest fix possible. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.