DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Electrical Problem with 1993 3.3L ES

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  PBCrunch 
#1 ·
I have a 1993 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.3L. Recently, the car will be driving along just fine, then a 20A fusible link under the hood pops and the car won't start. After this happens, the accesory stuff works with the key in the 'acc' position, but nothing works in the 'on' or 'start' positions.

Any ideas on what might cause this?

#2 ·
hehe i know what that is i bet. the Fuseable link from the battery to the cars harness 2000:1 i would bet. my old dodge van did that constantly the same thing your discribing. it was a electrial night mare that not any shop or dealer could solve :(

so either just try a electrical shop or keep about 20+ spares with you at a time. like i did. i had i think at any one time 35+ spare fuses for when this happened.

#4 ·
Age. Those fuseable links never last for ever. If it keeps happening, check the amp draw with a volt meter across the fuse. check it with the car starting, running, running with all electronics on(lights, heater fans, defrost, radio and AC), then shut it off. generally a fuse is 5 to 10 percent higher than normal amps running through the wire, so 20amp fuse should have ruffly no more than 18 to 19 amps. if you get more than 20 amps, find out when you get it. On that note to me it sounds like the starter soliniod is drawing to much current.

#5 ·
Power gets from the battery to the fusible link just fine. Something past the fusible link is causing the problem.

I don't think its the starter solenoid because it does this when the car is just driving around, not when the starter is doing any work.

When I say fusible link, I don't mean the little in-line fuse thing some of you may be thinking of. It is a thing that looks like a big fuse that sits in an underhood fuse box along with some relays.

I have replaced the fusible link/fuse with a 20A circuit breaker so at least when the fuse does pop I can drive again in five seconds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.