DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

code 32 and 42, are they related.

651 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  rdj59 
#1 ·
for the past 3 months i have the code 32 which is egr valve and then i also get a code 42 which could be a number of things. i was just wondering if they are related. any info i appreciated thanks.

#2 ·
rdj59 said:
for the past 3 months i have the code 32 which is egr valve and then i also get a code 42 which could be a number of things. i was just wondering if they are related. any info i appreciated thanks.
My guess would be they are not related, but anything is possible.

Btw, on the code 42, have you noticed any erratic fuel gauge movement?

#3 ·
not untill yesterday. i had 1/4 tank and it said i had 3/4 tank but that was the only time. when the cel turns on i get these two codes togather. the only other possibility besides fuel problems would be a open condition in the asd relay output and i have no idea what that is.

#4 ·
rdj59 said:
not untill yesterday. i had 1/4 tank and it said i had 3/4 tank but that was the only time. when the cel turns on i get these two codes togather. the only other possibility besides fuel problems would be a open condition in the asd relay output and i have no idea what that is.
If you had an open in the auto-shutdown (asd) circuit, your car wouldn't start (fuel is cut off)--unless maybe it was an intermittent problem.

I'm thinking more along the lines that your fuel level sending unit is faulty, which would also generate a code 42. Keep a close eye on your fuel gauge. If erratic movement becomes more and more evident, then you'll likely wanna replace the fuel level sensor.

#5 ·
do you possibly know of any way to test and see if it is faulty or is it cheap enough to just go and replace. thanks for your help.

#6 ·
The fuel level sensor is basically a variable resistance connected to a lever in the tank. Electrically this variable resistance is between BCM pin 23 and ground.

Bad thing about em is it's hard to troubleshoot them because their problems are often intermittent. They just get to one spot where there's a problem and it's hard to reproduce it.

They list for around $35, but they look like they're a pain to replace. Have to get in the trunk and access the fuel tank. The fuel pump and sender unit are together and you have to remove and separate the sending unit to replace it.

Could actually be easy though, I haven't tried it.

#7 ·
Hey rdj, I just wanted to say be very careful of course if you decide to introduce any test equipment (ohm meter) around the fuel tank. Personally, I could live with the code 42 for a while if it's just the sending unit on the blink.

Btw, how's the code 32 coming? Is it intermittent or does the faulty EGR come into play all the time and make your car idle rough?

#8 · (Edited)
yeah i can also live with a code 42 also.it is intermittent.the cel will blink probably at least 5 times during a 5 minute trip to school.
when it flashes it is usually after i hit the gas. then somtimes ill be at a stop light and the rpms dip down and idles rough.so i think it might have a carbon build up so im going to try the cheap way first. what i am thinking of doing is taking the valve and tube out and cleanig all the carbon out and seeing what that does. if that doesn't work i will probably go junk yarding to find a couple and try them out. what stumps me is that a followed the procedures to test for a faulty egr valve in my chilton and it checks out good. my vacuum is 1-2 bars below what is supposed to be at but i don't think that has anything to do with that. weird :confused: a 97 3.5 that also needs power steering pump egr valve and other micelenous problems with only 71,982 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.