DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Transmission pan wont fall.

4K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  RS23V0G 
#1 ·
I removed all the bolts from the drivers side of the pan. I loosened all the other bolts. But now the pan wont fall. I made sure the bolts were all loose enough. I tryed taping the pan in the corners. Nothing seems to budge it. I think the RTV sealent is the only thing holding it up.

#2 ·
You have to smack it with a rubber mallot or wrap a hammer in a cloth towel. It takes some force to dislodge. Don't pry it off because you could bend or marr the mating surface of the pan. ;)

#3 ·
I still cant get it. No matter how many times i hit it, it wont budge.

#6 ·
The local 5 star dealer here doesn't pull the pan. He drills a hole and puts a self tapping plug in when done. He did this on my Mothers 94 eagle vision TSI(and charged $124.99). When I saw what they did I went back to the dealer and told them I was calling DC about the poor job. They ordered a new pan and did the job for free. I wonder how many others were scamed? There is no way they could change the filter without removing the pan. I think thats why they don't have a drain plug(to many would change the fluid and forget the filter).

#8 · (Edited)
I'm going to try it again alittle later today when its warmer out. I think ill try cuting the sealent like IntrepidLHS did. If i can drop the pan, ill buy more ATF +4 from the dealership and do a full flush myself (i was just going to drop the pan). If I can't, I'll either take it to the dealer and have it flushed, or I'll buy more ATF +4 and take it to a local shop.

#9 ·
You could try prying it off with a tool that is a lot less stiffer than the pan to get the seal cracked. You want the tool to yeild, not the metal on the pan. Once you can get the far edge of the pan loose, you can pull the rest down (slowly) with your hand. A good tip to be aware of is too leave some bolts in the opposite side of the pan that you are not trying to pry off. Loosen them up but don't take them out. This way the pan won't "drop" all at once getting fluid everywhere. I did this with my two cars just this past month and I didn't spill a drop.

#10 ·
I am warry of these chrysler 4 speed auto trannys, so once a year, I take the pan all the way off, drain it fully, replace with a new filter adn clean out the pan and magnet real nice... it may be overkill, but it makes me feel better, and only costs about 30 bucks for the new filter and fluid, plust only takes an hour at most...

#11 ·
Oh and did I mention, the tranny pan is soooo much easier to get to on the caravan, its right up front, and angled, dont even have to jack up the van if im parked up hill... the lhs, intrepid is bad, cause I'm always afraid the cars gonna fall on me while im all up under there, trying to get out the 20 something bolts that hold it in...

#12 ·
Once you can get the far edge of the pan loose,...
Which edge should i try to pry open?

#14 ·
Oh and did I mention, the tranny pan is soooo much easier to get to on the caravan, its right up front, and angled, dont even have to jack up the van if im parked up hill... the lhs, intrepid is bad, cause I'm always afraid the cars gonna fall on me while im all up under there, trying to get out the 20 something bolts that hold it in...
Droping the pan on my ford tempo was a piece of cake. It was like half the size of our oil pan, and it had like a cork gasget.

Do you use jackstands? or ramps? I would never do major work under a car w/o it on ramps, w/ e-brake set, and w/ tire stops on the back tires. I bought some nice ryno ramps the other day at autozone. They work great on low cars, since they arent much of an incline, and they were only $20.

#16 ·
Cloud99 LXi said:
Anyone use a gasket in place of the RTV when doing this job? If so cork or rubber material? Thanks

Lou
I just use RTV. I figure the engineers that designed this car got paid to do so. I throw the one away that comes with the filter and just put enough RTV on the pan to seal it well. I think it is about 1/8" to 3/16" bead when I am done. :p

#17 ·
*****************************************************************************************
NUMBER: 21-05-99 Rev. A

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: Sep. 03, 1999

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-05-99 DATED MARCH 5, 1999 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE ADDITIONAL PARTS AND MODEL COVERAGE.

SUBJECT:
Reusable Automatic Transmission Oil Pan Gasket

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin announces availability and installation of a reusable automatic transmission oil pan gasket.

MODELS:
**1993 - 2000 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/New Yorker/LHS/Vision/300M**

DISCUSSION:

A reusable silicone gasket has been developed to replace the RTV method of sealing the automatic transmission oil pan. Due to more frequent Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change intervals and the possibility of the fluid foaming if it comes in contact with uncured RTV it is recommended that this gasket be used in all applications.

NOTE: THIS GASKET CAN BE REUSED UP TO THREE (3) TIMES.

PARTS REQUIRED:

**1 05011114AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 42LE**
*****************************************************************************************

#18 · (Edited)
Nice find 99300mricva.

After a few more attempts, i decided to give in. I'll call around tomorrow to get estimates. I'm going to try to get the gasget if my dealer has it in stock. When i asked for the gasget last time(september), they gave me RTV sealent.

As long as its not too expensive, I'll probably get it done at the dealership. Theres a smaller chance of them ****ing it up and puting the wrong fluid in, and I want my TCM updated anyways.

Thanks to all who tryed to help.

#20 ·
Took it to the dealer today. TCM update does wonders for the shifting. No more hard down shift at all. It could just be me, but it seems like i get better accelleration too. I really recomend that all first geners get the update.

I asked for the gasget, and gave them the TSB and part number, but they didnt have it in stock, and it would of been $40 (!) to order it. So I just got RTV sealent. Took about 80min for just the transmission service. Cost me about $130 for everything, and thats w/ bringing my own gallon of mopar ATF +4, and a filter.

#21 ·
So, what does a TCM update cost? I have had the car two years with no updates and I am almost positive the previous owner did not either. $140 for a pan gasket service minus fluid and filter seems awfully high. Did they do a total fluid exchange? You know, replace all of the fluid in the torque converter too?

#22 ·
Update was $35 (1/2 hour labor). They also needed 2 more quarts of ATF +4 to top it off. I asked them to replace the fluid in the torque converter too, but they wouldn't. They only would do a thing that sucked out all the fluid and not drop the pan/change filter (they called this a flush), or just drop the pan and change the filter (they called this a service).

#23 ·
WTF, why couldn't they do both? :confused: I have done both before about 30 times.

#24 ·
I didn't understand why either. I know, i was going to do both myself. How much fluid is in the torque converter? They said something like 2 quarts.

#25 ·
I think at least 8 for a total of 12 counting the pan.

#26 · (Edited)

I wonder if i could do a full flush myself, w/ just using the transmissions pump (using the coolant line as a drain), and not droping the pan.

EDIT:Checked Haynes. Its 9.9. 4.5 is in the pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.