DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Odometer not working! Help!

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  saljr76 
#1 ·
Guys! I need your expertise once again. I recently started doing a lot of maintanence on the trep, because the car started running a little rough, but not too bad. When accelerating, I get this loud buzzing type sound which I thought was the power steering pump, but after replacing it, I still get the same buzz, under acceleration only. I also noticed that my odometer hasnt been working since I replaced the power steering pump which I know has nothing to do with the odometer. Could this be my input/output sensors on the tranny causing these issues. The car shifts fine, but no odometer. Can someone walk me thru the replacement of both sensors step by step and location of these sensors.

I love this forum. Youguys are great help.

#2 ·
I meant to say the speedometer and not the odometer. I also forgot to mention that I noticed the needle of the speedometer is on the opposite side of the resting pin. I this what happens when the output sensor on the tranny stops working or is the needle suppose to stay on the correct side of the resting pin?

Thanx!

#3 ·
#4 ·
But would the sensors cause me to get that buzzing sound while accelerating. Like I said before, I thought it was the power steering pump, but the buzzing continued after I replaced it and its only when I accelerate.

Also, is it customary for the speedometer needle to end up on the oppposite side of the resting pin. It's like the needle wound its self all the way to other side and just got stuck there. Some one please help.

regards,
Sal :(

#5 · (Edited)
saljr76 said:
But would the sensors cause me to get that buzzing sound while accelerating. Like I said before, I thought it was the power steering pump, but the buzzing continued after I replaced it and its only when I accelerate.

Also, is it customary for the speedometer needle to end up on the oppposite side of the resting pin. It's like the needle wound its self all the way to other side and just got stuck there. Some one please help.

regards,
Sal :(
I don't think the buzzing sound would be related to a bad tranny sensor. There's no moving parts in those particular sensors. Your tranny can go into a limp mode due to a bad input sensor, but you'll know when that happens--you'll be stuck in 2nd gear the whole time.

Btw, the needle ending up on the wrong side of the speedo may be normal. It's likely related to the fact that there is no signal coming from the sensor.

#6 ·
i could use some help . i have a 95 intrepid and just resently the warning lites and all dash gauges don,t work and the transmissiom stays in 1st or 2nd gear. but sometimes the gauges comes on but not all at once. but warning lites don,t work so i con,t read the codes. any help??

#7 ·
argus said:

I don't think the buzzing sound would be related to a bad tranny sensor.
I think Argus hit that on the nose. I don't know a lot about this newer stuff but with the older speedo's the buzzing was the actual connection at the back of the speedo that was faulty.

#8 ·
squiggy said:
i could use some help . i have a 95 intrepid and just resently the warning lites and all dash gauges don,t work and the transmissiom stays in 1st or 2nd gear. but sometimes the gauges comes on but not all at once. but warning lites don,t work so i con,t read the codes. any help??
Check your battery and its connections just to be sure. My gauges went ape **** when my battery died, but my tranny never went into limp mode though. Hmmm... the body control module controls the gauge cluster on our cars pretty much. You may have bus communication problems, or it could be a loose ground that is common to the body controller and tranny controller.

Anyway, in plain English, check your ground connections wherever you see one in addition to the battery connections I mentioned above. There's a ground on one of the strut towers and there's one or two on the frame rails under the engine as well. There's even one in the driver's side rear fender well area but I'm not sure if that one has anything to do with your problems. HTH

#9 ·
Well, I fixed the speedo. Something caused it to turn all the way over to the other side of the pin, but I disconnected it and flipped the marker back over and connected it back up and is now working fine.

I also found the source of the buzz. It's coming from the water pump. It's going bad on me cause I noticed that it was leak as the car was running. I took the a pvc pipe and attached a paper cone to it. With the paper cone pointing to me, I scanned the engine with the pipe to find the source of the sound and it was coming in clearer as I neared the water pump. When I was actually at the water pump. It clear that it was the source of the sound. I replaced it and no buzzing sound has been heard again.

Thank you all for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.