DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Cooling Fan Operation

724 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ottowrkr 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if on a 97, if both fans are supposed to run at the same times,,??? on mine,, only the left fan runs, and the right one is sitting there.. is this right?? thanks allot,,

#3 ·
one fan is a high spped fan and the other is low speed. The high speed one only kicks in when it the temps get up there . Also if the AC is running the high speed one will turn on.

#4 ·
Uhh, Wait a minute. *has a 93 ES*

There was some discussion on this sometime back. I have had this same problem that you spoke of. Both will run at the same time and at the same speed. There are two speeds. Someone very helpful posted (somewhere last year) a very detailed wiring and logic diagram that explained the whole fan operation. What your going to need to do is to check the connectors on the fan that is not working. You may find, like I did, that the connectors have been burnt and not making good connection. For a very long time before one of mine completely went out, only one of mine would run on low and then both would run on high. Then one of them stopped all together and the car began overheating. I found the connection was going bad all that time. I went to a junkyard and salvaged another connector and cleaned all the terminals on the fan and I have not had any issues with it since.

*looks for something....*
FOUND IT! :)

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6239&highlight=cooling

Hope this helps

Scott

#5 ·
my mistake , you are correct . The fans (both) operate at two speeds based on coolant temp sensor readings, intake air temp readings ,output speed sensor readings, trans oil temp and A/C pressure sensor readings. There is a whole page in the service manual describing when and how the fans operate . Another reason to get a service manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.