DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Performance & handling package?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  JuniorTT 
#1 ·
When I bought my '93 ES three and a half years ago (with 45k miles), it had Michelin XGT V4's on it. Today, I started putzing around on allpar and I noticed that if the car came with these tires then I have a performance and handling package. Does this package just deal with wheels and tires or does it also include suspension and/or stuff under the hood? I notice that they list the 0-60 time for me as an 8.3 instead of an 8.7 and I'm wondering why this might be. Unlike other trep owners, I can't peel out...is this the "premium" tires or is this just that I'm not running right? Thanks fellas.

#3 ·
The P&H package includes a different, firmer suspension setup (although I'm not sure on the details). As for under the hood, I think there's something different with the speed limiter, but I'm not entirely sure.

#4 ·
Do a search, I posted a whole list of differences for the Performance suspension, Touring Suspension and Base Suspension.

Speed limiter has nothing to do with the suspension, since I have the Touring Suspesion, yet I have no limiter. Yet there are people with the performance suspension and they can't pass 120mph

#5 ·
Is there a way to tell if I got the Performance package on my car or not? How to tell if you got the performance suspension or just the base suspension?

#7 ·
roshg said:
Is there a way to tell if I got the Performance package on my car or not? How to tell if you got the performance suspension or just the base suspension?
Check your VIN, and compare with the VIN decoder on this website.

#8 ·
dmckbtrs said:
is there a way to buy a P&H package and put it on? do they drive much better?
There's no point, you could probably get stuff in the aftermarket that are better than what was on the P&H.

I've only driven the car with a Touring suspension, and even then I was driving it on two blown shocks for a year. So I don't even remember what the car was supposed to ride like. I would assume it's sportier...

#9 ·
From: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9631&highlight=suspension

The performance suspension has stiffer bushing's all over the place, 5 to be exact. (stiffer than touring suspension)

The touring package and performance package have the same front stabilizer bar of 26.8mm compared to the base 23.6mm. Also had the same stiffer springs.

All cars had the same rear stabilzer of 15.0mm

You'd probably get better stuff aftermarket, Eibach Pro-kits (which I have), much better than stock springs. Bushings you can get aftermarket too. I dunno about the stabilizer bars.

#10 ·
The rear crossmember is different for the performance suspension too. I'm not sure what else though besides what Black94ES mentioned.

#11 ·
Alright, my VIN number has a 5 in the 6th position, so it's the "premium" series. According to you guys, this means I have five stiffer bushings, a longer front stabilizer bar, stiffer springs, and a different rear crossmember. This pretty well explains the handling side of things, but what performance items might I have?

By the way, I found out first hand about the increased handling as I had to make a sudden move at 60 mph (a very quick 3 lane cross to the right and then back to the left under full braking thanks to someone making a left hand turn into traffic from the left side). Somehow, my trep was under complete control the whole time and the tires didn't make a peep. These Michelin XGT V4's are the best tire ever for this intense dry-road handling stuff, but they have trouble in the snow and make wayyyy too much road noise.

Anyhow, sorry for rambling...lemme know what you think about my performance question above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.