DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Time for Tranny fluid change, which to get?

665 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Hypnos 
#1 ·
My tranny fluid due for a change, its been in there since 1999! I was wondering if I should just go for the regular Chrysler ATF or is there something synthetic out there that would work better? Also how much of the stuff do I need for a complete drain & fill? Is there also some sort of filter to change too?

#2 ·
Change the filter. If you remove the pan and filter, it takes 6 quarts. I changed to Chrysler ATF +4 and really like it. Redline C+ ATF is also good. I think I might use Redline next time. ATF +4 is now $7.20 a quart. Reline is around $8, but is synthetic. You should change the differential fluid also. It takes 1 quart of 80W90.

#3 ·
If you don't have any existing tranny leaks, you may want to switch to ATF+4 (it's synthetic). FWIW, ATF+4 is now the recommended replacement tranny fluid for all DC cars, with the exception of a few minivans.

#4 ·
argus said:
If you don't have any existing tranny leaks, you may want to switch to ATF+4 (it's synthetic). FWIW, ATF+4 is now the recommended replacement tranny fluid for all DC cars, with the exception of a few minivans.
Are you sure ATF+4 is synthetic? It doesn't say synthetic on the bottle, and a Chrysler parts guy told me it wasn't.

#5 ·
mark64 said:

Are you sure ATF+4 is synthetic? It doesn't say synthetic on the bottle, and a Chrysler parts guy told me it wasn't.
Hmmm, actually I'm not sure, but I could swear I read it somewhere else in this forum. Ugh... I'm probably wrong. :p

#6 ·
Make sure they do a complete flush. Dont let them leave the old fluid in the torque converter.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I phoned my chrysler dealership today and the parts dude says it will take 10 LITERS of fluid, if I do the converter as well?! Is this true?! And its like $30 for a new filter. Damn, $130 just for supplies...hope the labor to do that isn't that bad.

#8 ·
Yeah, thats right. 9.9 to be exact. $130 sounds like alittle much. Make sure they are buying the fluid in the gallon buckets. I'm pretty sure its cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.