DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

popping sound

2K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Robert Shumway 
#1 ·
ive noticed that i have a popping sound coming from some part of my steering when i turn the wheels, this only happens when the engine is cold, but after it warms up it doesnt happen? i have no idea what this might be, i thought maybe the cv joints at first, but wouldnt it do it all the time if that was the problem?

#4 ·
Same problem here too, though ive always described it as a "knock" im guessing it is the same thing cuz it happens when it is cold

One member PMed me with the same problem and said they needed a new power steering pump and steering rack-the member was silver97trep in case u wanted to ask for more info

#5 ·
Heh, weird things happen when its cold. I've had this happen a couple of times but I dont think anything of it cause its cold. I used to have an old buick that when it was cold, it would make all sorts of weird noises, but there was never anything wrong with the car.

#6 ·
well, i guess the sound is more of a knocking the a pop. i guess as long as it only does it while its cold it wshould be ok. i hope. i just cant afford to fix sumthing else on the car right now. i just had the engine rebuilt. and the car only has 63000 miles on it

#8 ·
Mine does the exact same thing. Every time you turn the steering wheel one way and then back the other, it pops. It sounds like it's really bad, but it's been doing it every winter since I got the car and nothing has busted yet.

Also, when it's cold out, my front end makes noise going down the road when the car goes through a dip in the road or a gradual bump. It sounds like the shocks are frozen or something. Fortunately, when the temperature gets far enough above freezing this noise stops, too.

I guess it's just the chassis problems you get with a Chrysler. The good thing is that these cars are damn strong mechanically.

#11 ·
krypt said:
ive noticed that i have a popping sound coming from some part of my steering when i turn the wheels, this only happens when the engine is cold, but after it warms up it doesnt happen? i have no idea what this might be, i thought maybe the cv joints at first, but wouldnt it do it all the time if that was the problem?
Yup. My son's trep started doing that with the cold weather too.

#12 ·
Krypt, does the sound seem to come from the passenger side of the firewall? The early (93-95) cars did this in the cold at startup and Chrysler changed the isolater material for the right side rack hold down clamp. My 95 LHS did this and I replaced the isolater with the new part number and no more noise. The TSB # is 19-03-97 Rev. A and the part number is 04897706AA, Isolator, steering gear right side, 93-95. For 96 and up cars, change the rack, but that is expensive as hell.

FredB

FredB

#18 ·
Mine does that as well. I have been told it is the power steering assembly that is cold, and once it heats up from use, everything returns to normal.

#19 ·
yeah i apologize for possibly being misleading in suggesting something really was wrong-as has been said it isnt a serious problem-ive also had a scraping sound on occasion when taking a turn which also only happens when cold--but if u did feel inclined to fix the problem, like i said i was advised a new rack and pump solved it-thats just FYI--though it probably isnt worth the price to fix

#25 ·
mine used to do that, but i replaced the inner tie rods BUSHINGS, i was a job, but i worked for me, i only popped when i turned to, i'M NOT SURE BUT I think THAT WHEN SHE WARMS UP, the heat makes those bushungs expand just enough to "work right" not suree though, not a rocket sciencetist.worth a shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.