DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Rattling Steering Wheel and Vibrating Pass. Side Tires

958 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SilverPoet 
#1 ·
Some times when I am at a stop light I hear a rattling sound coming from the inside of the steering column. If I turn the wheel a little to either side the noise stops for a bit that start up again. Also when I drive down the highway I can feel the passanger side tires start to vibrate a little. Then when I slow down to a slower speed when I get stuck in traffic and I'm going about 5 MPH I can still feel the vibration but it is slower like the tire is warped. Do I just need to get the tires alligned and ballanced or what? Thanks for any replies.

#6 ·
When this happened to me, it was the inner tie rods that bolt to the rack. They are near the center of the fire will behind the engine. I would get it looked at ASAP.

#8 ·
Inner tie rod grommett

I had the same trouble on the drivers side. Went to dealer and they wanted $400 to replace both inner tie rods and alignment. BTY, the tie rods can be had for $30 each.

Upon my own inspection, it turned out the rubber grommett in the eyelet at end of inner tie rod had disintegrated and was gone thus the popping and rattling noise. Occasionally, the wife noticed left tire vibration during braking.

I went to Advance and purchased a grommett kit for $10. Replaced it in two hours and all was well.

#9 ·
I got my tie rods fixed for free because when i took my car to the shop the first time they misdiagnosed the problem. the guy assumed i needed new front tires to stop the rattle. when i took it back they apologized and fixed it free of charge. I suggest to get a few estimates. The inner tie rods are cheap, its just the labor you pay for. shop around.

#10 ·
I had to get new tie rod ends for something a little different...my wheel had a "dead spot", I would drive the car, and there was a place when I would turn that did absolutely nothing. Talk about freaky on a car that handles like a 'trep does. I was telling the guys at the meet and I would hold the wheel at like a 45 degree angle different than normal to go straight. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.