DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Over heating

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  azgearpro 
#1 ·
I have a 95 intrepid w/3.3 ltr. My car is over heating. I have replaced the thermostat; water pump and radiator cap. My thoughts now turn to a possible blockage in the heater core or radiator or possibly a blown head casket. I am looking for any help out there.

#2 ·
When does it overheat, when in traffic and idling, highway speed or all of the above? Do you have heat when using the heater? Is the heat hot or just warm? Check all the components that cool your radiator like the coolant temperature sensor, related fan relays and the fans themselves.

#4 ·
Well, if your fans are kicking on your temp sensor should be alright. Just as long as your fans are running and you are checking them with the AC off. If you are overheating at freeway speeds, then your fans aren't the problem. What about a loose belt? What do you mean as long as you have coolant in system? Are you losing coolant a lot or a little (head gasket)?

#5 ·
I'm losing alot of coolant because it is boiling over w/in 4 miles of my house. I talked with a technition at a local dodge deelership and he said that 4 miles is a little quick to be overheating if it was a head gasket. I am going to flush the coolant system and see if that solves my problem.

#6 ·
I've seen alot of posts on here with people having clean out blockage in the heater core...

#7 ·
Well I'm making headway. After I flushed the system I went much further w/out overheating (about 10 miles) but my tep was high. I am going to buy a new radiator and replace it. If it comes down to the heater core i'll let the professionals handle that mess.

#9 ·
My trep started overheating one day. Turns out the coolant level was low and I added more without opening the little bleed valve where the coolant hose enter the top of the engine block. Opening this will allow trapped air to escape. I think they call this dilemma "air lock". At least on the 3.5L, there is a high point in the system that might hold an air bubble if the system is not bled properly when refilling with coolant.

If you should need a new radiator, I found a place in Dallas that sells them for half the price of the parts stores and they even have the Chrysler emblem on them. They are exact matches to the original! I forgot the name of the place but I can find out if you need it.

#10 ·
fans

My wife was driving home last night with the air on, and the trep started to over heat. My wife immediately pulled over and shut the engine down. She waited until the engine cooled off to try to move the car. She told me she shut the air conditioning off and there were no more problems? If the problem is the fans, when are they supposed to come on and how do you check them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.