DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Mystery Wires....

1K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  YB Normyl 
#1 ·
I am working on the interior of my intrepid and i pulled off the black plastic piece that holds the vents (just above the radio). There is a little plug that was just attached to the plastic. there are 3 wires running from it, one orange, black, and i think the other was red (not positive at the moment will update if wrong). If you look at the front of the plastic, there is a little rectangle set in (which is where my led for my alarm is). If anyone has a clue what this plug/wires are for, post or email me at toxykspyl@hotmail.com

#3 ·
well i dont have a traction control at all but yeah thats where it would be...right to the right of the steering wheel

#4 ·
That is the harness fort he trac button. All cars had that wire in place . They also use that harness/plug to program new keyless entry fobs as well.

#8 ·
You would have to add the ABS/TRAC pump , wires to the pump (new front end harness) all the sensors at each wheel . Lots of work and wires. Not worth it IMOP.

#9 ·
Right, the traction control works with the braking system by braking the slipping wheel. Is this info that I've been told true?

#10 ·
jcman311 said:
Right, the traction control works with the braking system by braking the slipping wheel. Is this info that I've been told true?
You’ve been told the truth. ;) Here’s a quote courtesy of all data dot com, “The traction control system is dependent on the antilock brake system and is not available without antilock brakes.” It also mentions it’s designed to work at speeds under 30 mph. So, a word of caution to those that have T/C, don’t go flying down a wet road in hopes that it would kick in and pull you out of a jam if need be. :p

#13 · (Edited)
Hey, since we’re talking brakes here in a roundabout way here, I can’t for the life of me figure out how I have 4-wheel disc brakes. All the info I researched on the subject states the 4-wheel discs only came on treps equipped with ABS or ABS&T/C. Did the factory turn out custom setups for fleet orders? I know my car was a rental once upon a time. TIA

edit: fyi, I don't have ABS or T/C that I'm aware of.

#15 ·
So, back to the original topic.....you say this traction control plug also is used to program keyless entry key fobs, can I just go buy a key fob and have it programmed some how? My car never had the keyless entry fobs to my knowledge.

#16 ·
ViatiminJ said:
uhhhh take the tires off and look.
Thanks for the suggestion, but reread my post. ;)

I know I have 4-wheel discs. I know I do not have ABS & T/C. Accoding to the data I could manage to find, '97 models had rear drums if they didn’t come w/ ABS. I was just curious if my car was an oddity or maybe fleet ordered vehicles could be optioned like that. Like I said--just curious. No biggie….

#18 ·
ottowrkr said:
My 94 has 4 wheel disk no ABS. Most cars we built got 4 disks .
Thanks ottowrkr. I wasn't sure if the material I was reading was very reliable or not. I'll take your word, being that you've built a few more Intrepids than I have. :D

#20 ·
you say this traction control plug also is used to program keyless entry key fobs, can I just go buy a key fob and have it programmed some how? My car never had the keyless entry fobs to my knowledge
Nope , if you dont have the keyless module ( under the top cover of the dash) on the car you cant add this option .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.