DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Power steering pump whine?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  b4black 
#1 ·
I'm hearing a whine coming from the engine and a mechanic says its the power steering pump. It does not happen right at start up, but when the car has been driven for say more than 30-40 minutes its very noticeable if not annoying. You can really hear it at low speeds and the whine is in sync with the engine rpms.

Is this a common problem or just my bad luck?
Thanks

#2 ·
The bearings might be going bad. If it does not leak really bad, then it is up to you to if you want to replace it or not.

#3 ·
Hmm...whine from the front end could also be a water pump....but it is usually more of a high pitched whine, and the power steering pump is a bit lower of a whine....sorry, its hard to explain. If the mechanic thinks its the steering pump, hes probably correct.

#5 ·
I am needing to replace my second pump after 110,000. So I would say could be common yes.

#6 ·
I have the same whine coming from my front end at the moment. I am about 99.99% sure that it is the ps pump, however, nothing is leaking and after the car runs for 10-15 minutes it goes away completely. Also, it is only when it is below 20 degrees F outside. After it started making the noise, I checked my ps fluid level and found it to be within spec, but alittle below the cold full line so I filled it up to the cold full line and that made the sound go away. As soon as the car completely cooled down again, the sound was back, but not as bad.

All in all, it hasn't changed in about 2 weeks and I put 400 miles a week on a car that just ticked over 148,000 miles without having the ps pump changed. Could be time for a new ps pump...

#7 ·
My car has been doing the same whine for a few months now. And recently the power steering pump has been leaking. I would guess it's the ps pump. I know mine whines in very cold weather, until it warms up. By the way does anyone know how hard it is to change the ps pump???? Thanks:confused:

#8 · (Edited)
The PS pump shouldn't be all that hard to replace... I believe that it just bolts straight up into the block. Just remember to break loose the pressure and return lines before you drop it off the mounting bolts.

You may want to invest in a good set of line wrenches before attempting this though. The fittings can be froze in or can strip very easily...

One thing that I do wish that we had on our motors was the auto tensioner pulley for the accessory belts. Like what most GM vehicles have. Just put in a 1/2" breaker bar and pull. Then the belt will fall out. We have to loosen the bolt in the center of the tensioner pulley then loosen the jack bolt...

Oh yeah... Almost forgot. We have a pressed on pulley and you will need a special tool to remove the pulley. You should be able to rent or borrow the tool from pretty much any major autoparts store near you. I know that Autozone has them. When you press on the new pulley make sure that you press it all the way on until it is flush with the end of the shaft!

Good Luck... I may be getting it replaced soon, same as you...

#9 ·
A common cuase of groaning pump is water in the fluid. It is absorbed from the air. Many times rebuilding a pump, replacing the pump or other service cures the problem. This is becuase the fluid is change at the same time. Save some $$$ and try changing the fluid first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.